Assistant Professor of Theatre
Birmingham-Southern College invites applications for a two-year faculty appointment in Musical Theatre at the rank of Assistant Professor in the Department of Theatre. The position will begin August 2021. The successful candidate will then be eligible to apply for a tenure-track position that will begin in August 2023.
- Teach courses in Acting, Musical Theatre, Directing. Ability to choreograph and teach Theatre Dance highly desirable
- Direct Main Season theatre productions
- Mentor and advise students in a liberal arts environment
- Collaborate in the planning and production of a theatre season with the faculty in theatre; interest in developing curriculum appropriate for a liberal arts college.
- A terminal degree (MFA, Ph.D.) or equivalent professional experience
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and directing at the college level
- Demonstrated interest in working across disciplines and engaging in collaborative scholarship, teaching and service
- Extensive professional musical theatre/theatre experience desirable
- Excellent communication skills
BSC is committed to finding a teacher/director who will bring a new and diverse perspective to the study of musical theatre and theatre. The Department is especially interested in qualified candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to building an equitable and diverse academic environment. Commitment to undergraduate teaching and research in the liberal arts tradition is essential. Teaching load is 3-1-3, including a non-traditional January term project which may include directing a production.
BSC is a selective residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1200 undergraduate students. It is included in Pope’s Colleges That Change Lives and is a sheltering institution for Phi Beta Kappa. The College’s curriculum is based on close faculty-student interaction in teaching, advising, and research. For more on the College’s faculty, students, educational mission, and national reputation, visit www.bsc.edu. The campus is located just minutes from downtown Birmingham, which is the largest city in Alabama and a leading hub for banking and medical care and research in the Southeast. A vibrant center for entertainment, commerce, and recreational activities the city boasts a symphony; a ballet; a zoo; botanical garden; the largest art museum in the Southeast; a world-class civil rights institute and annual art, music, and film festivals—as well as numerous opportunities for outdoor adventure activities. In 2015, Birmingham was ranked as the #1 “next hot food city” by Zagat’s. The Department of Theatre’s website is: https://www.bsc.edu/academics/theatre/index.html
To apply, submit, in electronic form to TheatreSearch@bsc.edu :
- a letter of application
- curriculum vita
- one-page statement of teaching philosophy
- three reference letters
The cover letter should summarize research interests and describe ways in which the candidate can contribute to the theatre program, department, and college.
Review process will begin February 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Questions should be sent to the Chair of the Search Committee, Prof. Matthew Mielke at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
BSC is an equal opportunity employer. The College is also committed to expanding the diversity of the faculty, staff, and student body and in creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Individuals from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply. BSC complies with the Alabama Child Protection Act and E-Verify. EOE
Apply for Assistant Professor of Theatre
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly