LABORATORY / TECHNICAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR
LABORATORY / TECHNICAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR
Posting Number: SRGV4742
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: College of Sciences / Chemistry
Scope of Job:
To provide responsible supervisory and technical skills to ensure safe operation of all equipment and to oversee the distribution and maintenance of supplies and equipment in departmental laboratories or related areas and techniques of normally used equipment and materials.
Description of Duties:
• Ensures all established safety standards, regulations and procedures are followed in accordance to state, university and department regulations.
• Establishes, posts and enforces guidelines for the safe operation of all tools used within the area.
• Monitors the organization and cleanliness of the laboratory or assigned areas.
• Opens, supervises and closes laboratory or assigned areas at specified times.
• Instructs and supervises students in the safe operation of all applicable tools and approves students after completion of training for use of tools and equipment.
• Maintains and repairs all necessary tools and equipment utilized in the laboratory or assigned areas.
• Prepares materials, equipment and instrumentation for use in research and educational laboratories or areas.
• Assists faculty and students with facilities planning and equipment selection, installation and removal of equipment.
• Responsible for departmental inventory of laboratory materials and instruments and requests purchases when needed.
• May prepare and stock student laboratory drawers for use during the scholastic year.
• Documents student charges for loss or breakage.
• Acts as the department’s safety officer for coordinating hazardous waste collection, storage and disposal.
• Trains and supervises laboratory and storeroom aides.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
Bachelors Degree from an accredited university.
Degree related to the technical skills and duties required.
• One (1) year of experience in performing related work involving laboratory equipment and materials commonly used. Knowledge of use and safety regulations for the specified area, or
• Five (5) years of required experience with an Associates Degree.
Use of standard office equipment. Thorough working knowledge of the various types of equipment used in the laboratory to which assigned.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Normal laboratory conditions. Sometimes requires working with hazardous equipment and materials or in hazardous environments. Some travel and constant weekend/evening work is required.
Ability to work independently. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals. Strong customer service orientation and written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a variety of environments. Requires the physical ability to perform the normally required duties.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 11/15/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27196