Outreach and Engagement Coordinator for the Prophet Aquatic Research and Outreach Center (PAROC)
Emporia State University is seeking an Outreach and Engagement Coordinator for the Prophet Aquatic Research and Outreach Center (PAROC) in Emporia, Kansas. The coordinator will work year-round to develop, offer, and coordinate STEM Outreach programming with a special focus on aquatic resources. The coordinator reports to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- Collaborate with ESU faculty, K-12 teachers in our region, and other external partners to develop STEM Outreach programming with a special focus on aquatic and natural resources
- Coordinate outreach programs and outreach facilities associated with the PAROC
- Grant Writing and fundraising
- Marketing, communications, and public relations- work with the Director of Marketing in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences to develop and implement a marketing strategy to promote PAROC outreach programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, or related field
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with children of a variety of ages (pre-K though high school)
- Ability to think critically, and use independent judgement in decision making
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision AND collaboratively with a team
- Experience with grant writing and fundraising
- Skill in social media management
- Ability to work some evenings or weekends, as events require
- Master’s degree in biology, environmental science, or related field
- Teaching experience
- Experience with STEM Outreach
- Spanish proficiency
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a cover letter addressing their interest and qualifications for the position; a resume; and contact information for three professional references including name, address, e-mail, and phone number to:
Britney Hinrichs, Executive Associate
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
1 Kellogg Circle, Campus Box 4010
Emporia State University
Emporia, KS 66801
Or via e-mail at email@example.com
Background check and official transcripts will be required prior to hire. Review of application materials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. However, the preferred start date for the position would be as soon as possible (e.g., March 2020)
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.
The center is named in honor of Dr. Carl Prophet (Emeritus Professor of Biology) and is the first academic building at Emporia State University built entirely with private donations. This new facility will be leveraged to make progress on water-related research and to encourage children and youth to consider science-related careers through hands-on outreach education programs. As access to clean water impacts all facets of life, the future of Kansas’ water supply is among the most important issues affecting our population today. In addition, tomorrow’s scientists and leaders will be required to have the skills needed to address these issues. Introducing scientific study and careers to children and youth in a tangible, hands-on way while also researching problems related to water conservation and identifying potential solutions can truly make a global impact. The outreach, work, and research taking place at the Prophet Aquatic Research & Outreach Center has the potential to impact generations of future Kansans and citizens throughout the world.
About the University and The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Emporia State University is a regional institution with an emphasis on teaching whose mission is “preparing students for lifelong learning, rewarding careers, and adaptive leadership.
Founded in 1863 as the Kansas State Normal School, like many similar institutions of that era, the primary offering was teacher education. Today, that emphasis has broadened to include four distinct colleges and schools including the School of Business, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the School of Library and Information Management, and the Teachers College. More than 150,000 students have studied at ESU and moved into careers that have touched all corners of the world. The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is the largest of the four colleges (comprised of 10 academic departments) and functions as the heart and soul of the university.
About the Community of Emporia, Kansas
Located at the doorstep of the beautiful Flint Hills between Kansas City and Wichita on Interstate 35, Emporia is a family-oriented and vibrant community of about 25,000 residents. With the University as its anchor offering cultural and educational pursuits, the city provides a wide range of recreational, artistic and civic options. National Geographic Magazine highlighted the beautiful Flint Hills – the nation’s last great expanse of tall grass prairie – in its April, 2007, edition
The parks of Emporia are the flagship of recreation due to their variety and size. In all, Emporia’s 18 parks mass a little over 250 acres. The Jones Aquatic Center, the many city parks and the David Traylor Zoo all provide opportunities for fun and entertainment. Emporia’s Recreational Center offers a gymnasium that hosts basketball and volleyball games as well as many other athletic and recreational options. The municipal golf course is host to many regional tournaments. The new Emporia Arts Center has been established as a center for the city's fine arts and artistic education. The historic Granada Theatre, constructed in 1929, offers a 1,400-seat capacity. In April, 1985, the theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1994, a group of citizens formed the Emporia Granada Theatre Alliance to ensure the ongoing preservation of the Theatre.
Emporia is located conveniently between Kansas City (90 minutes to the northeast) and Wichita (90 minutes to the southwest). This location affords access to many of the activities offered by these communities as well as providing accessibility to a number of Fortune 500 companies.
Apply for Outreach and Engagement Coordinator for the Prophet Aquatic Research and Outreach Center (PAROC)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Emporia
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Emporia
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Emporia