Manager, Infrastructure Network Engineering
The Network Engineering Manager leads a team of engineers that play a critical role in sustainment of CU Boulder's enterprise network. This is a hands-on Manager with the ability to demonstrate expertise in the daily operation of an enterprise-class network, including network management, trouble resolution, configuration development and deployment. This role requires the application of interpersonal skills with the ability to foster and grow business relationships, and drive a customer-first focus.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Leadership and Management:
- Responsible for managing network team engineers, including writing and updating job descriptions, hiring staff, coaching, mentoring, approving requested leave. Collaborate with Associate Director of Network Engineering & Operations and direct reports to write goal plans that include on-going training initiatives. Schedule team meetings, set agendas, set up project timelines.
- Work alongside network engineering team to implement new and emerging network technologies across campus. This is inclusive of campus backbone, core, border networks, and firewalls. Work with wireless team to ensure wired infrastructure design takes into account the needs of expanding wireless consumption on campus. Regularly interface with other internal and external stakeholders across campus to ensure proper alignment of selected technologies to avoid implementation of disparate network environments.
- Responsible for network equipment and staff salary planning and budget creation. Responsible for renew and replace cycles, as well as planning for purchasing new equipment to support ever changing network services. Plan and budget for new FTE/temporary positions and salary upgrades for existing positions. Track budget line items for fiscal year spending and adjust accordingly. Track assets, align purchases to budgets, track purchases, research and ensure proper maintenance and support contracts are in place. Coordinate with OIT finance office for financial oversight.
- Review existing processes to determine areas for improvement, including equipment maintenance and tracking, On-Call procedures, network monitoring and alerting processes, customer service engagements, documentation and knowledge base updates.
- Monitor service and incident requests for duration and quality completion. Meet regularly with internal and campus stakeholders to understand their needs and ensure network services are providing value and meeting established objectives and business requirements. Resolve escalated customer service issues in a timely manner. Oversee daily work within unit including identification and facilitation of request and incident management.
- Ensure departmental and networking documentation is created and available in the OIT knowledge base portal. Ensure updates are occurring and are valid based on technology improvements. Collaborate with network engineers and technical writers to ensure the program is ongoing.
- Maintain proficiency and acquire new technical knowledge by reading technical journals, manuals, newsgroups and websites. Attend seminars and conferences, participate in discussions with colleagues and consult with vendors and industry peers. This position will identify and elect training opportunities that provide support for common service areas or future technologies. It is also responsible for identifying personal and team opportunities for targeted or participatory continuous improvement and knowledge development in identity and access or relevant service and support topics.
What We Can Offer
- Annual base salary range for this position is $125,000 to $135,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a closely related field.
- A combination of education and/or job-related experience as described below may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- 5 years experience in a position of Network Administration or Engineering in an enterprise or large campus environment supporting Cisco and/or Juniper routers/switches/firewalls.
- 2 Years of experience with network monitoring and alerting using industry standard tools such as SolarWinds, Nagios, or similar.
- 2 years of management experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by January 25, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu