Job Vacancy Announcement
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Salary commensurate with experience
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision with some independent judgment performs
highly technical duties in the College’s Office of Finance, which
includes the following: provides leadership and management of
Financial Services operations including the Bursar’s Office and
General Ledger accounting functions, establishes and maintains
written accounting policies, procedures, and forms necessary to
maintain compliance with generally accepted accounting principles,
reviews financial reports for consistency, accuracy,
accountability, and timeliness, supervise and evaluate all staff
under direct supervision.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
Administration. CPA preferred.
- Three years of experience in higher education administration or
three years of experience auditing higher education
- Minimum three years management experience in general ledger
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed
below for this position.
- Provides leadership and management of Financial Services
operations including the Bursar’s Office and General Ledger
accounting functions, specifically: accounts receivable, cash
management, general ledger postings, bank reconciliations,
financial aid transactions to include Federal, State, Institutional
and external scholarships and grants.
- Establishes and maintains written accounting policies,
procedures, and forms necessary to maintain compliance with
generally accepted accounting principles, with Governmental
Accounting Standard Board ( GASB ) standards, county/state/federal
requirements, and internal control requirements.
- Supervise and evaluated all staff under direct supervision.
Responsible for ensuring that all supervised staff are provided
appropriate and specific training and guidance to successfully
execute their responsibilities.
- Reviews financial reports for consistency, accuracy,
accountability, and timeliness.
- Coordinates with the IT Division to establish internal controls
to safeguard college assets and to assure the reliability of
financial reporting including the integrity of Datatel Financial
System operations, security, updates and new versions.
- Prepares financial reports for the state education associations
of MHEC and MACC and the Federal Integrated Postsecondary Education
Data Systems ( IPEDS ).
- Oversees the timely closing of month- end and year- end
financial account activities.
- Trains and cross-trains for essential positions, developing and
maintaining adequate back-up personnel.
- Coordinates with the college auditors for all financial and/or
compliance audits for the college and the foundation including
preparation of financial schedules and general ledger
reconciliations, and management of timely submission of regulatory
reporting: CC-4, CC-5, and others as required.
- Oversees the college collection processes including various
college staff responsible for cash collection and accounting
activities, conducting all account receivable dispute resolution
discussions and meeting with vendors, employers, parents, and
- Oversees timely and accurate deposit of all college funds.
- Directs the timely mailing of appropriate billing according to
- Plans, develops and monitors annual budgets for Financial
Services and Bursar (Approximately $900K) including providing
budget input for audit costs.
- Responsible for performing special studies, investigations, or
other services as directed by the Vice President of Financial and
- Oversees the college staff training provided for the Colleague
financial management system.
- Conducts quarterly informational staff meetings for all
accounts receivable and cash management staff from all college
campuses and centers.
- Oversees development activities related to the class schedule
to ensure correct information as related to college billing, FACTS
- Participates in the college Student Grievance Committee
reviewing grievances relating to scheduling, grades, outstanding
amounts owed, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be available to work Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m. Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The college is currently in a Modified Academic and Business
Operation ( MABO ) model, which means some of the work is being
performed from remote locations. When the conditions permit, based
on CDC and College Administrator’s guidelines, employees will be
required to resume their work on campus as directed by management.
This position is located in the state of Maryland.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- Do you have at least three years of related experience? See
minimum qualifications for this position. Application and resume
must show evidence of experience.
- Briefly describe your experience referenced in the previous
question. Do not enter 'See Resume'
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you possess a CPA certifications?
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3