Assistant/Associate Professor of Environmental Studies
As Assistant or Associate Professor of Environmental Studies, you will: teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region. You will be considered a faculty member within The Water School, an exciting new initiative at FGCU.
There is also opportunity for faculty to work with the university’s new Center for Critical Race and Ethnic Studies. A fundamental value of FGCU is an unambiguous commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Recognizing that diverse viewpoints strengthen teams and enrich learning, we seek candidates whose experience and personal philosophy will enhance the diversity of faculty in FGCU’s Environmental programs. Non-traditional career pathways that broaden the variety of perspectives within our team are highly welcomed.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches assigned courses.
- Prepares syllabi and instruction materials, coordinates lectures, and evaluates students.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains skills through regular professional development a nd other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor .
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Environmental Studies, Geography, Planning, or closely related discipline from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Expertise in issues of Land Use, Reclamation or Ecological Restoration.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Assistant or Associate Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2021. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Engagement in scholarship that relates to issues of Environmental Justice.
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Skillsets in GIS, mapping, data analysis, program assessment, and grant writing are strong assets.
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective, and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning and university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Five (5) Professional References
Additional Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Statement identifying your past contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion. Illustrate how your scholarship, teaching, service, or other work history will support FGCU’s commitment to EDI in higher education, including potential to work with a culturally diverse faculty, student body and broader community (maximum 1 page).
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by February 21, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Law & Legal Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers