Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67220 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Chair School/Unit College of Health Professions Department Rehab Counseling Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The VCU Department of Rehabilitation Counseling serves as a national leader in the professional preparation of Licensed Professional Counselors and Certified Rehabilitation Counselors who will exercise skill and competence on a high technical and ethical level. Department faculty conduct active programs of research and service, and maintain high levels of teaching competence. In partnership with students, community agencies, and consumer and professional organizations, the Department endeavors to enhance the personal, social and economic well-being of the clients they serve, regardless of disability or other life circumstances.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We are seeking a visionary and transformative leader to be the next Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Counseling in the College of Health Professions. Reporting directly to the Dean of the College, the Chair will foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equity in one of the top programs in the country. The successful candidate will grow a strong and diverse Department by anticipating the changes in rehabilitation and mental health counseling and providing the tools needed to succeed in a dynamic environment. Additionally, this position ensures effective management, program planning, faculty development, research and scholarship, and development of relationships with alumni and the community.
• Ensures effective management of Department resources.
• Ensures management of program planning and curriculum development, revision and integration of new topic areas.
• Ensures and maintains the quality and currency of the educational programs.
• Ensures faculty development, accountability, and opportunities for professional growth as well as establishment of productivity measures and faculty evaluation criteria/norms.
• Develops and maintains an acceptable balance of faculty teaching, research and scholarly activities based on the resources of the Department.
• Development of continuing education opportunities as needed.
• Preparation of periodic reports concerning departmental activities, progress, and achievements of the Department for the Office of the Dean or University officials.
• Promotes student recruitment and engagement as well as development of technology to support student learning.
• Ensures effective recruitment and advisement programs are established for prospective and current students.
• Ensures the maintenance of accreditation, quality, and currency of the educational programs.
• Maintains a strong development and fundraising program with alumni and the community as well as state and national professional organizations in collaboration with the Dean’s Office.
• Ensures Department responsiveness to its various constituencies including students, alumni and community members.
• Promotes a strong Department image through faculty participation in national organizations as well as scholarly publication and research and connection to practitioners.
• Promotes faculty and staff collaboration and morale.
• Assumes teaching, research, and service activities compatible with an administrative load.
• Performs other duties as related to the operation of the Department.
• A terminal degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or related counseling profession
• Certified Rehabilitation Counselor Credential or obtains the CRC within one year of hire
• Leadership knowledge and experience
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching
• Junior faculty members will be required to have an established research agenda and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Senior faculty members will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Experience or high potential for effectively and inclusively educating and mentoring students from under-represented minority and/or historically marginalized communities
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Eligible for tenure and advanced rank of Associate or Full
• Demonstrated commitment to community service
• Demonstrated research and scholarly achievement which is recognized in national and professional circles
• Demonstrated leadership in state or national professional organization
Date Posted 01/20/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date 02/20/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
If interested, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, diversity statement, and (under the “other documents” section) the names and contact information of three professional references via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com.
Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Alena Hampton, chair of the search committee, at email@example.com
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102855 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)