Associate Director of the Writing and Public Speaking Center
The Writing and Public Speaking Center at the University of Montana invites applications for an Associate Director of the Writing and Public Speaking Center (WPSC) to join their team. The Associate Director of the Writing and Public Speaking Center (WPSC) will specialize in the areas of online, graduate, and science writing instruction as part of WPSC programs. The individual assigned to this position will work with the WPSC Director and a team of professional writing tutors to support undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, faculty, and staff as they become more versatile, deliberate, and effective communicators.
The person occupying this position is expected to exercise a high degree of initiative and independence in performing the major functions of this position. These functions include the leadership responsibilities and tasks outlined below, many of which require specialized knowledge and the ability to manage complex duties and relationships with administrators, faculty and staff from across campus.
The individual assigned to this role is expected to possess the education and skills needed to develop and deliver undergraduate and graduate coursework, possess strong leadership skills, demonstrate excellent writing skills, and facilitate the transfer of those skills to students, faculty, and staff. In addition, the person occupying this position is expected to be able to provide professional development opportunities for faculty, helping them learn and implement strategies for supporting students’ development as writers as well as helping them improve their own writing and writing processes. Master’s Degree required based on the instructional requirements of this position.
The person assigned to this position should possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and public speaking skills in order to represent the WPSC primarily to students and faculty, but also to administrators. This representation will be instructional in nature. The incumbent will function within a framework and following policies established by the Director of the WPSC.
Under the supervision of the Director of the WPSC, the individual assigned to this position will be responsible for the following:
- Coordination of day-to-day functions of the center, including managing the online scheduler, scheduling events and communications
- One-to-one tutoring for undergraduate and graduate students as well as staff and faculty
- Tailored, discipline-specific writing workshops across the curriculum, especially in science
- One-to-one writing consultations for faculty and staff
- Maintenance of the WPSC website
- Development of and training on new technology resources for students, faculty, and WPSC staff
- Assistance to the Director in WPSC assessment projects
These responsibilities will require that the person occupying this position take the initiative to administer, design materials for, and implement these various projects and responsibilities insofar as they align with the WPSC’s mission. The individual in this role shall perform all day-to-day functions of the position (such as tutoring, evaluating students’ needs, assessing writing competency, consulting with faculty and staff, and teaching in a classroom).
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Expressed enthusiasm for writing center work
- A student-centered approach to teaching and learning
- An ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment when working with others
- Strong science writing background
Minimum Required Experience
- A master’s degree in a relevant field and two years of writing center experience in a university or college setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Position is full-time, 0.83 FTE, Montana University System Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $50,603 - $56,627 per year commensurate with qualifications.
About the Writing and Public Speaking Center and UM
The Writing and Public Speaking Center supports undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, faculty, and staff as they become more versatile, deliberate, and effective communicators. We provide an interdisciplinary, collaborative learning environment for all members of our community to grow as they work on a wide variety of academic, professional, and creative communication tasks.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, March 7, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular