Senior Building Maintenance Worker (2nd Shift)
Senior Building Maintenance Worker (2nd Shift)
Job Number: 2015-1602663
Location: CA 94556, CA
Department: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
Closing: 2/3/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary's offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary's reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
This is a second shift position and the hours are 3:30 PM - 12:00 AM. May work ocassional weekends.
Under direct supervision provides general repair and maintenance to all campus facilities (buildings and grounds) in the areas of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and painting. Tasks also include the preparation and clean-up before and after the repair or installation.
Perform Maintenance Requirements
- Assesses, repairs, replaces and maintains the physical plant facilities in the areas of carpentry, electrical, HVAC, painting and plumbing.
- Carpentry: Repairs & hangs doors; constructs & installs cabinets & shelving; frames walls according to technical drawings, installs sheetrock, textures and paints walls and baseboard, repairs and installs locks & repairs furnishings. Repairs and installs carpet and other flooring materials.
- Electrical: Analyzes the problem; replaces bulbs, switches, plugs, breakers, ballasts, emergency lighting, and motors; installs conduit. Also troubleshoots cable TV issues for students.
- HVAC: Changes filters, belts, motors, and pumps; tests and replaces thermostats; provides basic boiler maintenance and appliance repair.
- Painting: Mixes paints and stains to match existing colors; repairs and textures holes in sheetrock and plaster to match existing finishes; paints interior and exterior walls.
- Plumbing: Replaces and rebuilds plumbing fixtures (including sinks, drains, toilets); solders & threads pipe; works with & repairs supply and waste lines; installs & replaces garbage disposals, clears drains with power snakes. Also hangs shower doors.
Safety and Training
- Follows building codes and operates tools and equipment safely.
- Follows departmental, College, and OSHA policies and procedures to ensure safe practices.
- Participates in required, monthly safety training meetings; participates in equipment operation training, as appropriate
- Maintains provided service vehicle.
- Retrieves work orders several times daily from work order system. Closes work orders in a timely manner, logging hours spent on job, materials and comments as appropriate.
- Creates materials list of items, tools, etc, necessary to complete jobs.
All employees in Facilities Services are expected to protect and maintain all College property and the people who come to SMC to learn, live, work and visit. Therefore, the following are required:
- Proactively identify, report or resolve any and all safety issues as quickly as possible;
- Proactively identify issues related to code compliance and report them to the appropriate supervisor or Director as soon as possible;
- Ensure the campus is clean and orderly; return furnishings and other equipment to their places when moved by members of the community or after scheduled events;
- Take care to ensure College property is not compromised due to propped doors, broken locks, or left out in the rain or weather. Work proactively to reduce opportunities for theft and vandalism;
- Ensure that our campus facilities achieve the greatest amount of “up time,” meaning all services and utilities provided shall have minimal disruption in service. Disruptions in service shall be well-planned with constituent groups and result in the least impact to the campus
- Assists with furniture moving and set-up
- Secures facilities--broken windows and doors
- Campus and/or facility clean-up;
- Assists with pest control
Experience and Qualifications
Education: High School Diploma or equiv.
Experience: Minimum five (5) years experience in the building construction trades (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc.). Journeyman level experience is required in one or more of the building trades.
Skills/ Abilities: ability to read, speak and write in English; able to handle multiple concurrent tasks, meet deadlines, and interact professionally with campus constituents.
Licenses & Certifications: A valid California Driver License is required.
Other Requirements: The Facilities Services department operates 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. Therefore, swing, weekend, and emergency shifts are required. Facilities Services employees are considered critical employees and will be required to assist the College in the event of campus emergencies.
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu
1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College
2) A resume
3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references.
In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.
Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.
College policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Saint Mary's College annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Saint Mary's College Report, please go to the Public Safety website at http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/public-safety/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report-0. To request a paper copy please call Public Safety at (925) 631-4284. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Please apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/stmarys