Research Assistant II - CryoEM/FIB
The CryoEM Core at BCM is acquiring an Aquilos 2 Cryo-FIB Mill to perform specimen preparation for Electron Cryo-tomography (CryoET). We are searching for a full time research assistant to focus primarily on this equipment, but also with the ability to operate the CryoEM instruments in the facility. While we would prefer someone with previous FIB experience, we will consider anyone with experience in relevant areas or with related equipment.
The primary responsibilities in this position will be to prepare cellular specimens for CryoEM/CryoET imaging using the Aquilos 2 Cryo-FIB (with liftout capability). Secondary responsibilities will potentially include serial imaging directly on the Aquilos and imaging experiments on our 4 high-end CryoEM instruments. Specimens will be provided by a wide range of scientists from across the Texas Medical Center who use our core facility. The FIB specialist will be expected to take an active role in planning and performing the experiments on specific specimens, then providing results and suggesting follow up experiments to the requesting lab. While a service oriented mindset is important, the position will largely work independently to produce the best possible data using the available equipment. Training will be provided as necessary.
- Designs and performs experiments to prepare provided specimens for CryoEM imaging using FIB technology. Performs imaging on electron microscopes.
- Performs preliminary analysis of collected data, and report back to the requesting lab. Suggests follow up experiments to cure any deficiencies related to the stated scientific goals of the project.
- Primarily responsible for a ThermoFisher Aquilos II CryoFIB mill and environment. Coordinates service under service contract and maintains the equipment in peak operating condition.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field and one year of relevant experience or a PhD will also be considered.
- Past experience with FIB milling would be ideal, but as this is a rare skill, experience with CryoEM/CryoET or other related technologies would be an acceptable alternative. This is not an entry-level position, so some past experience in this general area of research is required.
We invite you to learn more about our benefits (bcm.edu/careers/benefits) including medical, dental, and vision insurance, tuition reimbursement, incentive-based wellness program, and more.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston