University Code 33242 University Title Scientist 2 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Local Working Title Research Scientist Position Number 559910 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Electrical And Computer Engineering Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The VCU College of Engineering provides innovative, real-world engineering education to Central Virginia. Comprised of five different departments (biomedical
engineering, chemical and life science engineering, computer science, electrical and computer engineering, and mechanical and nuclear engineering), the VCU College of Engineering enrolls more than 1,700 undergraduate and 300 graduate students in several degree programs supported by approximately 600 full time, part time, and
student employees. Over the past several years, the research expenditures have quadrupled and lead to the generation of meaningful research results at the forefront of technology. Collaborations in the VCU College of Engineering include VCU schools, colleges, and centers, and other university and industry partners.
This Research Scientist position is intended to help lead the growing research in nano, bio, photonics, environmental, materials and systems research in the College of Engineering and university wide in a 5,000 square foot, research-focused Virginia Microelectronics Center ( VMC )
clean room facility. This facility is a Class-1000, HEPA filtered clean room space that houses state-of-the-art semiconductor
fabrication equipment and the requisite support facilities. The Research Scientist will help oversee day-to-day research activities in the VMC and this includes opportunities to pursue their own research projects. Responsibilities in the day-to-day operation include oversight of equipment
maintenance and operations including, but not limited to, routine maintenance of and minor repairs to research infrastructure, as well as working with external vendors VCU staff for major research equipment acquisition. This position also provides opportunity to expand research
capacity and fulfill the mission of the center. Importantly, the position is responsible for maintaining a safe research environment and acts as a safety officer for the VMC facility.
Minimum Hiring Standards
This position requires a complex set of research and technical abilities including:
• Previous experience working in a cleanroom and research environment
• Demonstrated knowledge with sophisticated instruments, including semiconductor processing equipment,
vacuum systems, and electronics.
• Knowledge of occupational, facilities and laboratory chemical and gas safety procedures
• Familiarity with laboratory systems such as HVAC, laboratory water / gas supplies, and toxic gas monitoring systems
• High level of maturity, judgment and a proven record in working in a laboratory environment
• Demonstrated interest to work on a variety of on-going research projects
• The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such and environment. And will also demonstrate their experience that shows their commitment to fostering innovative research.
• Effective communication with collaborators regarding research, both orally and in writing
• Strong organizational skills
• Knowledge of the theory and application of microfabrication, methods and instrumentation
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in an engineering, science, or equivalent field
• Supervision experience
• Experience with training others on lab equipment and safety
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $55,000 - $70,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 hr/wk Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 01/20/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled No Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102913 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Describe your work experience relevant to this
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have coordinating and
maintaining lab safety records and procedures?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year-less than 3 years
- 3 or more years
- * Do you have prior or current clean room micro/nano
- * Decribe any experience you have in developing and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a master’s degree in engineering, science, or
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond