Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives
Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives
TAssistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives provides leadership in coordinating operations and services across these units of the Libraries (Collection Strategies, Acquisition Strategies, and Catalog and Metadata Strategies) and works collaboratively with Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Research and User Engagement. The Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives will work with other senior leaders to establish and develop Library-wide goals, budget priorities, and policies. The Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives will also lead the Libraries' digital initiatives and library systems, and coordinate the Libraries' space and facilities planning with Facilities and the Information Technology department.
The Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives provides leadership and administrative responsibility for digital initiatives, systems operations, resource sharing and document delivery, periodicals maintenance, and budgetary oversight for Collection Strategies and Acquisitions Strategies. As a member of the Libraries' senior administrative team, the Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Digital Initiatives participates in a wide range of administrative activities. They work with library deans, faculty, and staff to define needs, set priorities, budget, implement, manage, and assess digital and systems initiatives in a collaborative environment. They assist the Dean with a variety of library-wide projects as assigned, serve on University and Library committees, and remain current with emerging technologies in higher education and academic librarianship through active participation in professional associations and activities.
REPORTS TO: Dean
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Department-wide Operational duties:
- Coordinate operations and services across these units of the Libraries (Collection Strategies, Acquisition Strategies, and Catalog and Metadata Strategies) and work collaboratively with Assistant/Associate Dean of Libraries for Research and User Engagement.
- Manage and coordinate the work of these units to provide timely access to a comprehensive set of relevant information resources and deliver innovative research and outreach services that maximizes the use of current technologies. Library resources and services will engage and support the academic community at Adelphi and help shape the evolving research and teaching mission of the University.
- Budgetary oversight, direct signing authority for all departments and funds, direct supervision of Libraries accounting and reporting.
- Oversee the direct acquisition of Libraries materials and services through corporate credit card purchasing, with adherence to campus financial and fiscal reporting requirements.
- Expanded teamwork on emerging technologies and rapid web development.
- Library-wide coordination of combined floor-plan, collections, and space utilization efforts into single focus planning and execution.
- Support for comprehensive assessment and analytics reporting.
- Strategic implementation of the new institutional repository.
Library Systems, Emerging Technologies, Web, and Digital Projects:
- Supervise systems personnel in implementation, maintenance, and upgrade of software and hardware platforms in support of library functions, including the library management system, the digital library, the resource sharing system, remote access proxy and authentication services, and institutional repository.
- Act as the backup systems administrator.
- Collaborate with library faculty, staff, and Information Technology (IT) in the planning and implementation of digital initiatives, web applications, hardware selection and evaluation.
- Maintain effective liaison with IT, and other relevant campus stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and support for integrating library resource discovery and access technologies into distance education, online learning, student advising and other campus systems.
- Partner with IT, Faculty Center for Professional Excellence (FCPE), and other Adelphi units to explore emerging technologies supporting digital scholarship, teaching, and learning.
Instructional and Web Services:
- Coordinate the integration of informational and educational technologies, including streaming, through the work of the Manager of Instructional and Web Technologies.
- Ensure coordination and integration of library materials and services with the Moodle course management system.
- Provide administrative guidance and support for library website development and usability testing, and educational content development.
REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Significant, progressive management, budget, and supervisory experience of systems and/or technical services in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated experience with current issues and best practices in the assessment, development, and application of information technologies in libraries and higher education.
- Familiarity with utilization of information security methodologies and implementations for assessment of user activity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills, and ability to work in a collegial environment with shared governance.
- Deep knowledge of the IT landscape and IT-related challenges related to library services in higher education.
- Demonstrated IT experience in a large academic setting.
- Experience implementing or maintaining digital library infrastructure.
- Experience communicating and negotiating contracts and systems requirements with library system vendors.
- Experience managing enterprise-level integrated systems, such as library catalogs.
- Experience in labor relations and working with bargaining unit staff.
- Demonstrated ability to promote teamwork and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, and staff in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated experience with successfully developing, managing, and completing large, complex, cross-organizational projects and programs in a library setting.
- Strong management skills, proven planning and organizational skills, and ability to deliver desired results and outcomes.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, with strong analytical skills, creative and innovative problem-solving skills, and a commitment to service excellence.
- Commitment to service-oriented library organizations and solid knowledge of the research and instructional needs of faculty and students.
- Proven experience with introducing and managing change within a complex, rapidly changing organization.
- Extensive experience in supervising and managing library staff, including all aspects of performance management, organizing workflow to accomplish established objectives, and delegating responsibility and training, as appropriate.
- Ability to mentor and motivate managers and foster a cohesive learning organization.
- Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce and workplace environment, while supporting professional development for staff at all levels.
- Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in higher education and academic research libraries, including understanding of technology as it impacts libraries and higher education.
- Evidence of ongoing professional contributions in the field of library and information science.
- Master's degree from an ALA accredited school of library/information science or any other relevant graduate degree.
- Second post-baccalaureate degree is preferred or similar proof of advanced study.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience in an academic or research library with a successful record of exercising progressively greater leadership, management, and supervisory skills and abilities.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience managing information technology in academic libraries.
- Manager of Instructional and Web Technologies.
- Digital Information Systems Specialist (main reporting to IT)
- Administrative Assistant (shared between the Associate Dean for Research and User Engagement).
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
- Back Share
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2476