Director of Research Development for National Security
Director of Research Development for National Security
The George Mason University, Office of Research invites applications for the Director of Research Development for National Security position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among it’s staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Research and Innovation Initiatives
Research and Innovation Initiatives develops and implements university strategy for fostering a dynamic, supportive and growing research ecosystem.
The following organizations are part of the Research and Innovation Initiatives Group:
- Research Development Services
- University Research Centers
- Office of Research Computing
- Institute for Biohealth Innovation
- Institute for a Sustainable Earth
- Institute for Digital Innovation
Collectively these organizations are focused on supporting, connecting, communicating about, and convening researchers internally and with external partners. The Institutes are the primary way in which George Mason is organizing and supporting multidisciplinary research in the three identified strategic research areas for the university. University Centers are multidisciplinary, chartered at the university level, and intended to support targeted research in areas of high impact. Research Development Services assists the Mason faculty-postdoc-student community with the identification of external funding opportunities and the development of high quality proposals, sponsored projects and translational activities. University Core Facilities, including the Office of Research Computing, are cutting edge facilities that are available to all members of the Mason research community. In total, this set of activities and resources are intended to create a vibrant supportive university environment where members of the Mason research community can thrive.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Research Development (AVP) with a dotted line to the Associate Dean for Research (ADR) in the Volgenau School of Engineering (VSE), the Director provides strategic and active management of the University’s research development programs focused on national security related programs. In collaboration with the AVP and the ADR, the incumbent will play a strategic role in building Mason’s research and scholarship capacity, with emphasis on development of multidisciplinary research and scholarship. The incumbent will work closely with other research development staff at George Mason University and with other research development officers in the national community.
- Provide active and strategic management of Mason’s and VSE’s research development program focused on National Security. This will require a multifaceted approach that leverages Mason strengths and aligns resources to support team building essential to the development of high-quality team- and center-scale disciplinary and multidisciplinary proposals working with both the VPR and the ADR;
- Engage with the National Security funding agencies to provide greater situational awareness of the funding environment and maximize opportunities. Ensure Mason faculty are well prepared to propose to existing and emerging programs;
- Engage deeply with partner organizations to develop new programs and opportunities for Mason researchers;
- Support Mason’s and VSE’s research development goals through the creation of resources, information, and guidance posted electronically on Mason’s and VSE’s Research websites and through a variety of face-to-face and print mechanisms;
- Facilitate and host workshops aimed at developing teams and exposing Mason and VSE faculty to funding opportunities and agencies;
- Provide support and coordination for major multidisciplinary proposals related to national security including project management, providing or securing grant writing services, drafting supplementary documents, reviewing and commenting on portions of the proposal;
- Work closely with other colleagues in ORIA, the Office of Sponsored Programs, Foundation and Corporate Relations, VPR’s and VSE’s Research Councils, and other members of the Mason community to ensure information sharing and optimal support for Mason PIs;
- Identify and perform other research development activities that support enhanced institutional engagement in research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Master’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience;
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain complex grant requirements to faculty;
- Experience developing and implanting research development or support programs;
- Deep knowledge and experience with National Security funding agencies and/or recipient organizations of such funding;
- 5-7 years of experience working in research development or research funding related roles.
- 8-10 years of experience directly managing research development or research funding programs;
- Master’s degree in scientific, engineering, or related field.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA41Hz at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Institutional Research & Planning Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Research Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax