Sr Appl Software Developer I
We are looking for someone who loves to design, develop and
modify applications, enjoys exploring and recommending new
technologies, is interested in new challenges, and has a desire for
an engaging experience with our thriving university community for
an Application Software Developer position. Is this you?
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits package plus many other support resources to help employees balance their professional and personal lives.
As a member of the Miami team you will be a part of our efforts
to pursue the best solutions for the University.
Our diverse team members actively design, develop, modify and support application software systems by:
• Gathering, documenting, and analyzing user needs and design requirements, developing application specifications and determining system performance standards.
• Participating in diverse projects that analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints using agile techniques.
• Designing and developing software systems including appropriate use of error handling, logging, and monitoring.
• Creating, executing, and automating multiple levels of test plans for software maintenance.
• Planning and executing third-party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and code reuse.
• Working with our clients to learn and understand business processes and responsibilities and suggest solutions to problems.
• Identifying roadblocks and generating ideas for improvement; using agile methods like the Scrum framework and pair programming.
• As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to grow technically and professionally through annual training.
Require a Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, information technology, or a related field earned by date of hire and six or more years of relevant experience depending on qualifications.
As a Senior Application Software Developer I reporting to our
Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for you to
have advanced knowledge and experience in several of the following
• Collaborating with and leading teams in using Agile development techniques to design solutions that maximize simplicity, stability, maintainability, and code reuse.
• Mentoring junior developers in using good systems development lifecycle practices.
• Developing applications using object-oriented programming in PHP, Python, Node JS, or similar languages.
• Using source code management systems like Github and understand the concepts of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
• Developing secure applications to defend against attacks such as SQL injection or cross-site scripting and using single-sign-on and authentication systems similar to LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth and Two-Factor services like Duo.
• Using different testing options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load, accessibility (ADA) testing and documenting test plans, cases and results to improve our quality of applications.
• Developing against Higher Ed ERP systems like Ellucian’s Banner suite, Learning Management systems like Canvas, and web portal systems or similar applications.
• Developing with databases and SQL.
• Web application deployment and server configuration management in applications such as Apache/Tomcat and Weblogic.
• Learn and evaluate technology and industry trends and make recommendations to guide future adoptions of development technologies, methodologies and frameworks.
• Basic software application deployment in a cloud-based infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
• Building positive relationships with internal and external constituents, including learning their roles and responsibilities to engage them effectively.