Dean, Harry Van Arsdale Jr. School for Labor Studies
SUNY Empire State College - Dean, Harry Van Arsdale Jr. School for Labor Studies
About SUNY Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 49-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at over 30 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
Empire State College is committed to creating a multi-cultural and inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package.
SUNY Empire State College seeks a Dean to lead the Harry Van Arsdale Jr. School for Labor Studies. The Van Arsdale School, one of the founding programs of Empire State College, serves approximately 1,100 students through face-to-face, online, and blended courses and partnerships with various trade unions. Its labor centered, liberal arts programming was inspired by Harry Van Arsdale Jr., who in his role as long-time Business Manager of Local 3 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and major 20th century labor leader was a tireless promoter of ongoing education for his members and for workers in general.
This academic leader will be responsible for growing high quality labor studies programs across instructional modalities and locations. SUNY Empire State College is committed to continuously growing and improving the Van Arsdale School by expanding our labor-centered programming through new curriculum and program development and by pursuing partnership opportunities with unions throughout New York State and across the United States.
The Dean of the Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. School of Labor Studies will collaborate with senior Academic Affairs leadership to expand student success with high quality labor studies programming that promotes innovation in teaching, mentoring and learning. The Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and works closely with others in Academic Affairs, and joins a collaborative peer group of Deans.
This academic leader works closely with labor faculty, professional employees, and support staff to develop academic programs and student and academic services to meet the needs of working students. The Dean and staff collaborates with Enrollment Management and the Partnership Office to strengthen recruitment and enrollment strategies and to grow partnerships with labor organizations across New York State and the United States.
Responsibilities include supervision of faculty, professionals, and staff, as well as recruitment, hiring and evaluation of full-time, part-time, and adjunct faculty. The Dean of the Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. School for Labor Studies oversees and manages the development of annual programs for all employees at the School. This leadership position is responsible for faculty development related to mentoring, teaching, scholarship, as well as college and community service and continued growth. The successful candidate will promote a dynamic and collaborative environment supporting faculty and staff efforts college-wide in the development of labor studies learning opportunities across multiple teaching modalities, development of new degree programs in the field, assessment of learning outcomes and enhanced student support and enrollment services.
- Provides leadership for academic delivery, quality review and outcomes assessment projects, working with faculty and staff
- Provides leadership on development and review of curricula, including curricular breadth, depth, and quality
- Collaborates with faculty and the Office of Academic Affairs leadership on new labor studies program development
- Provides ongoing faculty development, and conducts personnel reviews, for full and part-time faculty in the academic area
- Connects faculty to curriculum and instructional design resources, and encourages and supports individual faculty scholarly and creative work
- Supervises full and part-time faculty in the academic area
- Leads provision of student development programming and provides oversight for student and academic services
- Collaborates with Academic Affairs and Enrollment Services leadership with developing outreach initiatives
- Promotes the visibility and reputation of the Labor Studies School at Empire State College
- Collaborates with the Office of Partnerships on developing new academic partnerships with labor and labor-based organizations, workers associations, joint labor-management education initiatives across New York State and the U.S.
- Cultivates new partnerships with college-and university-based worker and labor education programs
- Strengthens and expands existing partnerships in the labor movement and academia and manages partner relations
- Manages fiscal resources to include budget planning and ongoing review in consultation with the Office of Academic Affairs
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited U.S. university or comparable non-U.S. university in a field appropriate to Labor Studies
- Familiarity and/or experience with the labor movement, labor education and/or Labor Studies as a discipline.
- Demonstrated 3 years successful experience in academic administration or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership in successful development of academic programs and/or partnerships
- A vision for guiding the future direction of labor studies at Empire State College
- Excellent communication and management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education and within our communities
- Demonstrated record of collaboration both internally and externally
- A record of scholarly activity or public engagement on matters related to political economy, labor unions, and workers' rights
- Respected as someone with a labor presence in the wider labor community
- Direct experience with activities such as accreditation, research based grant initiatives, and applying outcomes assessment in leading innovative teaching and learning initiatives
- Experience with online and blended delivery models
- Ability to implement and oversee strategic initiatives
- Experience working with shared governance
- Experience working in a unionized environment
This is a Management/Confidential position located in New York City. A small amount of travel to regions with other Empire State College locations is required, along with occasional evening and weekend obligations. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Competitive/commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button: