Nurse Care Manager
The Division of Bariatric Surgery in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery is seeking a qualified Nurse Care Manager. Candidate must have the ability to provide compassionate care to the Bariatric patient, assessment skills to include the assessment of psychosocial needs, ability to plan and organize time, ability to effectively utilize resources to meet patient needs, and the ability to organize and pay strict attention to details. Good customer service and communication is essential, as well as proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Serves as a patient liaison to help patients and family members navigate the complex healthcare system as it relates to weight loss surgery.
- Communicates effectively to ensure efficient patient flow.
- Navigates and manages the patient's pathway pre-op/post-op bariatric surgery and manages this through electronic databases and EMR systems such as Baritrax360 and Epic.
- Generates periodic reports on state of the patient pipeline, as directed by the program coordinator and the Medical Director.
- Works collaboratively with the Clinic Lead and Bariatric Program Coordinator.
- Assists in facilitating seminars and tracking attendance.
- Coordinates same day appointments to minimize visits.
- Coordinates patient consult appointments as necessary to ensure efficiency and minimal travel for the patient. Ensures patient referral appointments are made with the required specialist/testing and within the allotted timeframe to maintain the flow of pre-operative surgery clearances.
- Ensures all components of pre-op clearance are completed and reviewed by surgeon.
- Ensures all studies and test results are reviewed and abnormal findings addressed in a timely manner by the physician/APP.
- Assists with and/or supervise tracking of clinical requirements needed to support submission of insurance approval for preauthorization for metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
- Four years of relevant experience.
- Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing.
- Certified Bariatric Nurse (CBN).
- Proficient in the use of Epic.
- Relevant experience in post-surgical or outpatient clinic experience; Weight Loss Program related experience.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.