Senior Multimedia Production Specialist/Videographer
Video Production and Photography is a unit of Strategic Communications and Marketing (SCM). It includes multimedia production, creative/promotional video, photography services, multimedia delivery services including audio/podcast production/services, comprehensive support for multimedia-based instruction and creative/promotional video production, and a variety of campus events. This person serves as a key advisor to storyscaping from a comprehensive multimedia production lens.
Under the general supervision of Strategic Communications and Marketing’s Sr. Director of Creative Strategy, the Senior Multimedia Production Specialist/Videographer works in a highly collaborative environment, then independently to achieve specified outcomes, providing all phases of unit multimedia productions services. The Senior Multimedia Production Specialist provides client consultation, multimedia design project planning, file management, and adapts with continually evolving/improving styles and standards.
The Senior Multimedia Production Specialist/Videographer will provide a wide range of support in both field and studio photography, video production, and post-production. The incumbent will help develop, shoot and edit video projects to create meaningful, creative visual content with a high degree of professionalism. The incumbent collaborates on the creative video process from concept development to producing, from the first edit through post-production and delivery as well as contributing towards building the brand identity. He or she must thrive in cross-functional teams and exhibit excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills with an emphasis on quality, accuracy and timelines. The candidate will exemplify the SJSU mission, vision and values and act in accordance with SJSU policies and procedures. This incumbent will partner/collaborate with Strategic Communications and Marketing team including but not limited to: storytelling/news content producers, marketing/branded content producers, creative designers, production manager, contracted video/photography freelancers, and student assistants.
- Manages and plans effective multimedia projects by taking the lead to prepare video content planning documents for review, input, implementation and assessment with stakeholders. This person serves as a key advisor to storyscaping from a comprehensive multimedia production lens.
- Initiates work with “client” (e.g. division, college, department, office, program/initiative) to help develop, shoot and edit video projects to create promotional/creative content with a high degree of professionalism.
- Assesses client needs and multimedia selection including but not limited to concept development to producing, from first edit through post-production and delivery as well as prepares scripts, storyboards, specific audio enhancements such as podcasts, and program designs including the coordination of resource scheduling.
- Partners/collaborates with Strategic Communications and Marketing team including but not limited to: storytelling/news content producers, marketing/branded content producers, creative designers, production manager, contracted video/photography freelancers, and student assistants.
- Conducts analysis of objectives/goals met and best/ideal selection of mode of presentation.
- Creates and produces original and truly engaging branded content, promotional campaigns across all media
- Leads in the creation of multimedia program materials and evolves with styles and brand standards to produce exceptional video content and video assets.
- Directs production crew and on camera subjects, conducts interviews, and coordinates location logistics.
- Leads the production materials into professionally/creatively synthesized finished products.
- Leads video recordings, sound tracks, still images, multimedia presentations, and web pages to produce highest quality possible—in partnership with SCM’s digital marketing unit.
- Creates or assigns post production elements such as animations, graphics, special effects and closed captions.
- Recommends and posts on best multimedia video platform(s) such as YouTube, Vimeo and others.
- Partners with Senior Director of Creative Strategy and Director of Digital Marketing and Communications on enhancing/building out SJSU branded video platforms for increased engagement.
- Leads evaluations of each project in terms of audience reaction, client satisfaction, and achievement of communications/marketing purpose with input from stakeholders—documented in Asana team project management software.
- Identifies technology needs and researches solutions; researches, tests and recommends products and digital platforms for delivery/presentation; learns to operate new technology to enhance production activity; and builds out video platforms for increased engagement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Significant skills in professional multimedia design, integration, staging, and operation, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Advanced knowledge of camera set up, audio signal measurement, non-linear editing systems, video switchers, routing equipment, studio and remote lighting, computer graphics, and multimedia software.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Advanced skill in exercising initiative and using good judgment to make sound decisions.
- Advanced skill in exercising professionalism, composure under pressure, and flexibility.
- Ability to compile, organize and present information clearly and concisely.
- Advanced abilities working and participating in cross-functional, multi-dimensional teams and projects.
- Significant skills in working with all levels of staff, management, stakeholders, vendors.
- Significant skills in managing multiple priorities independently and/or in a team environment to achieve goals.
- Advanced organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Advanced research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced skill exercising initiative and using good judgment to make sound decisions.
- Thorough knowledge of business writing, punctuation and spelling. Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports. Strong writing skills including the ability to create effective scripts, narrations, and general correspondence concerning projects.
- Ability to create effective multimedia end products within a team, and coordinate production work.
- Advanced knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, digital asset management.
- Thorough knowledge of multimedia production techniques and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of multimedia technology including trends, formats, and software.
- Significant knowledge of multimedia production process including audience assessment, and budgeting.
- Significant skills in directing live productions with incorporate complex audio mixing, graphics and multiple cameras.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects, and perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to process raw footage using the appropriate software for post-production preparation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, customer service and public relations skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Five years plus of progressively responsible experience producing media, filming/editing, in a broadcast, corporate or educational environment, including demonstrated experience in scriptwriting and video production
- MFA in Film, Digital Media, or the equivalent
- Drone pilot certification
- Six years plus of progressively responsible experience producing media including demonstrated experience in scriptwriting and video production
- AD Agency and digital media promotion included in portfolio showing different formats, web, documentary, short films promo pieces, or infotainment
- Multimedia team management and budgeting, advanced systems for team access to assets
- Experience filming/editing in a professional and creative post-production environment
- Experience in filming/editing video, live audio production, studio and remote production, multimedia creation and/or web design, project tracking and budgeting
- Relevant video production experience for example, broadcast television station, cable network, multicast network or studio
- Two years in a lead role managing the work of other producers and students
Classification: Media Production Specialist III
Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
- Online portfolio of work required at the time of application
**Application period has been extended through February 17, 2021 .**
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: January 9, 2021 through February 2, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 19, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time