IT Programming Specialist
Posting Number NC00135P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1712 Working Title IT Programming Specialist Position Number 21-21-0034 Department Enterprise Applications About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
Serves as a developer for the University’s core business applications. Responsible for performing tasks directly related to the support, maintenance, and development of applications, internal programming documentation, end-user training and problem resolution. The position reports to Associate Director of Information Technology Services.
Summary of Job Duties
• Develop, test, document and implement new software and interfaces for core business applications to increase productivity and ease of use.
• Confer with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
• Research software problems and initiate corrective procedures.
• Research and test new software products.
• Assess the usefulness of pre-developed application packages and adapt them to a user environment.
• Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
• Create documentation for new and existing applications software procedures.
• Monitor service desk incidents assigned to the Enterprise Applications staff. Update Service Now with all pertinent information.
• Assist the Information Technology Services staff as needed.
• Provide training for end-users as needed.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems or related field; plus two to five years’ experience in software development. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these basic requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Experience with Ellucian Banner Software is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Knowledge of programming concepts, languages, and databases.
• Knowledge of computer systems, hardware and software.
• Knowledge of common information security best practices.
• Must be detail oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet assignment deadlines.
• Ability to analyze, design, and program software applications.
• Ability to develop and execute a plan for implementation of new software applications.
• Ability to diagnose computer software problems.
• Ability to provide assistance to campus users and technical support staff.
• Ability to communicate effectively with users orally and in writing.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office/classroom setting. Occasional travel and extended hours required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Flexible work schedule is required. Occasional off-schedule work is required.
Salary $60,000 - $65,000, Commensurate with education and experience Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 01/19/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. For full consideration, apply by February 8, 2021.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Cover Letter with Salary Requirements
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- If yes, in what field do you hold a bachelor's degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience working as a computer programmer?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)