Vice President for Human Resources
The Department of Human Resources at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University and University Hospital of Brooklyn is seeking a full-time Vice President for Human Resources.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, the Vice President for Human Resources (VP for HR) has responsibility for Human Resources Operations, Labor Relations, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Direct reports include Assistant Vice President for Labor Relations, Assistant Vice President for Human Resources Operations, and Assistant Vice President for Human Resources Compliance, Records Management, and Talent Acquisition and Director of the Employee Assistance Program.
The successful candidate will:
- Direct policy, planning, and operations for these areas.
- Develop and implement standards and internal controls as necessary to ensure the effective management of human resource matters for the campus.
- Serve on the President’s Executive Management Council (Cabinet) as the senior institutional officer responsible for human resource policy formulation and for the overall planning, organization, direction, and evaluation of human resources activities at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University.
- Oversee the administration of employee relations, labor contract interpretation, benefits programs, classification and compensation, performance management, recruitment and employment, faculty and staff appointments, and organizational training and development.
- Consult with the Chief Diversity Officer for affirmative action, diversity initiatives, and programs.
- Serve as the senior representative communicating directly with the various bargaining units on the campus.
- Manage, oversee, and implement relevant human resources policies and procedures promulgated by The State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees, NYS Joint Commission on Public Ethics, NYS Policies, and SUNY Policies.
- Serve as Downstate’s primary contact point for the HR leadership at SUNY central offices and at the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations.
Critical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University’s human resources policy with appropriate references to SUNY, NYS Civil Service, and Research Foundation policy and guidelines with recognition of Federal and State laws, including regulatory agency mandates.
- Direct department staff to implement policies and procedures efficiently, with a particular focus on the use of improved technology.
- Educate Downstate’s Officers and Administrators about their human resource management obligations and provide policy interpretation and implementation guidance.
- Establish and direct the necessary human resource services and provide the necessary human resource professional and support staff to ensure the timely, accurate, and consistent implementation of human resource policies and practices.
- Directly and through human resource professional staff, assist Downstate managers in the consistent and responsive recruitment, selection, performance management, evaluation, rewarding, development, and management of staff members.
- Provide direct consultation and assistance to Downstate managers on union contract provisions affecting staff.
- Identify and institute comprehensive system-based audit mechanisms for the evaluation of human resource practices throughout Downstate to identify workforce needs and trends, satisfy institutional and regulatory reporting obligations, and to establish controls to support correction and change.
- Participate, with Associate Counsel, in preparation and presentation of institutional responses to NYS Division of Human Rights, DOH, OPMC, State Attorney General’s Office, and other investigatory agencies.
- 7+ years of proven leadership in HR operations and HR management experience in an academic setting with specific relevant experience at a leadership level in a hospital or medical setting.
- Graduate-level degree (e.g., Ph.D., J.D., MBA, MPA, etc.) in a related field.
- Effective working knowledge of federal, state, labor, and employment laws and regulations to include Occupational Safety and Health Administration and worker’s compensation reporting requirements.
- Human resource management experience in an organization with unionized employees. Strong service orientation.
- Solid understanding of HR operations models, tools, and programs.
- Prior experience in the leveraging of technology to support human resource management tasks.
- Strong professional development skills.
- Must be an articulate and persuasive communicator and problem solver.
- Experience in public sector organizations a plus.
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Brooklyn
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Brooklyn
- Human Resources Administration Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Brooklyn
- Executive Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Brooklyn
- Other Executive Executive Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Brooklyn