Assistant Professor of Graphic Design with a Focus in Emerging Creative Technologies
The College of the Arts (COTA) and The School of Art + Design at Portland State University invite applications for an Assistant Professor of Graphic Design with a Focus on Emerging Creative Technologies, commencing Fall 2021. This is a tenure-track, 1.0 FTE, 9-month position.
In conjunction with the Graphic Design faculty and the School Director, this position will be primarily responsible for developing, coordinating, and maintaining courses that focus on emerging technologies in Graphic Design in the School of Art + Design. The School of Art + Design seeks candidates who are engaged makers with a strong record of professional practice/research. A successful candidate will demonstrate an expansive view of the field of graphic design, a connection to contemporary and emerging practices, and the ability to stay current in the latest design methods, technologies, and platforms that engage students in productive online learning. In addition to teaching, the position entails participating in curricular development, playing a leadership role in the Graphic Design program, and supporting the program’s events and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach 28 credits per year as determined by Director. A typical teaching load will be 7 4-credit courses in the graphic design area.
- Professional activities of a scholarly nature are expected.
- Advising students.
- Departmental, university and community service.
- Working with other design faculty on program and curricular development.
- MFA or equivalent terminal degree in graphic design, new media/multimedia, or closely related field.
- Research and/or strong professional accomplishments in graphic, interaction, and experience design (and/or related fields).
- Teaching experience at the university level.
- High level and up-to-date skills in design software/tools and creative technologies.
- A proficiency in graphic design concepts and practice, including typography, conceptual problem solving, etc.
- Experience in diversity and equity design, 3-D modeling/printing, experience design, microcontrollers, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, extended reality, and mixed reality, UX prototyping tools, coding.
- A background working in a collaborative educational environment.
- A demonstrated ability to interface with Art Practice, and other areas in the College of the Arts and beyond. As an expert in new media content creation and production, this individual will aid collaborative efforts across the university to build and support knowledge in emerging technologies.
- A background in grant writing and willingness to pursue external funding resources.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Interest
- Statement of Research Interest
- PDF of 10 Images of Student work (Upload to “Other 2”)
- Evidence of on-line teaching (Upload to “Other 4”)
- Link to Website or Design Portfolio
- Names and full contact information for three Professional References
The cover letter should address relevant teaching experience, areas of teaching interest and availability. The “PDF of 10 Images of student work with course and assignment information” should be uploaded to “Other 2” section. The “evidence of on-line teaching” such as course syllabi and assignments should be uploaded to “Other 4” section.
Review of applications will begin February 26th, 2021 and will continue until the finalists are identified. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.For further information, please contact Kate Bingaman Burt at email@example.com or (503) 725-3324.
For additional information about this position please visit the following website: https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/33998
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Portland
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Portland
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Portland
- Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Portland
- Digital Media Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Portland