Vice President for Marketing & Communication
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John's University
(SJU) seek an energetic, experienced, and innovative leader to
elevate the reach and impact of the institutions and serve as the
new Vice President for Marketing and Communication.
The vice president leads the creation and delivery of strategic and tactical marketing and communication strategies that drive the accomplishment of the institutions’ most crucial goals: the recruitment of students, attracting top faculty and staff talent, engaging community partners in the mission of CSB/SJU, and motivating students, alumnae/i, donors and friends to choose CSB/SJU as an educational and philanthropic priority.
The vice president will consolidate and align marketing and communication efforts at CSB and SJU to most effectively envision and advance the brands of CSB and SJU and develop comprehensive strategies that promote the institutions. Reporting to the presidents, the vice president joins a dynamic and dedicated executive team at a critical time and serves as a strategic thought leader, advisor and active member of the CSB/SJU Leadership Team.
- Envision, formalize and drive a unique brand strategy for CSB and SJU; implementing strategic marketing campaigns; designing systems, structures, technology and budgets; and motivating internal and external constituents to advance the brand. Skillfully advance the institutions’ brands, missions of the institutions, reputations and identities as leaders in higher education in the region with deep commitment to students and alumnae/i.
- Create a responsive and contemporary marketing organization across two campuses, based on an agency model of service, accomplishing institutional goals in collaboration with staff and faculty. Proactively engage and develop relationships with all campus constituents to ensure their marketing and communication interests are understood and goals, particularly for fundraising and enrollment, are accomplished.
- Develop an efficient and effective communication organization that, alongside the presidents, articulates clear and consistent messages about CSB/SJU’s missions, values, and goals, enhancing the institutions’ shared strategic plan, engaging constituents, and reflecting the institutions’ commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Serve as a senior advisor and counsel to the presidents and the Leadership Team; providing advocacy and awareness of the marketing and communication vision and support for the institutions’ strategic marketing, planning, internal and external communication, public relations, media relations and crisis communication needs in all areas, with particular emphasis on enrollment and advancement.
- Create and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communication plan that drives internal and external communication, leveraging data to anticipate, assess, monitor and manage marketplace trends and industry practices.
- Design, lead, and motivate the institutions’ marketing and communications staff in the execution of the strategic marketing and communication plan. Build and retain top talent and skillfully maximize the creative and technical expertise of the team toward the accomplishment of key institutional goals.
- Collaborate with the presidents and vice presidents of institutional advancement to expand and enhance CSB/SJU’s external relationships and partnerships to maximize engagement and public/private support.
- Leverage human and financial resources in alignment with the advancement of the brand and strategic marketing and communication plans.
- Serve as a key advisor to the presidents and the CSB/SJU Leadership Team in proactive reputational risk management and crisis response planning. Strategically address and skillfully communicate in crisis and urgent situations, acting as the institutions’ primary spokesperson.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated breadth and depth of experience creating and building a brand in a complex corporate or higher education environment
- Progressive responsibility, leading to a director level or higher, and success in planning and implementing integrated marketing and communications strategies
- Evidence of building a strong, successful communication and marketing program and team of professionals
- Strong interest in the goals of excellent liberal arts institutions, respect for Benedictine history and Catholic tradition, a commitment to our values of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice, and demonstrated ability to integrate these values into marketing and communication strategies and messages.
- Ability to work constructively and collaboratively with Leadership Team members and other key clients to achieve measurable goals, objectives and outcomes
- Proven and effective strategic thinker and leader with demonstrated skills in change management
- Proven understanding of digital and social media, with the ability to identify talent among, lead, and support both creative and technical teams
- Strong goal orientation with data driven decision making and commitment to assessment and evaluation
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
Candidates are asked to complete the full application and submit the following materials:
- Letter of application
- Evidence of strategic communication and marketing accomplishments (e.g. professional portfolio, strategic marketing plan, professional honors/awards)
- Names and contact information for three professional references
If you require an accommodation to participate in the College of
Saint Benedict/Saint John's University hiring process, please
contact Human Resources at (320) 363-5500 or email@example.com.
It is the policy of CSB and SJU to conduct a pre-employment background check. An offer of employment is conditional upon a successful background check.