The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) supports the university community by empowering faculty to perform world class research and scholarship by providing access to funding information, enhancing the ability to respond to national research priorities and pursue opportunities, encouraging and directing inquiry into new and emerging fields, promoting solutions to problems and advances of basic knowledge in diverse disciplines and through interdisciplinary cooperation, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures related to research, marketing faculty talent and university capabilities within the university community and to external audiences, and fostering partnerships with outside agencies and businesses.
OVPRI has an opening for an experienced Java Developer to work closely with diverse development teams to develop software solutions in Java / Java EE for web-based, enterprise-class, high-speed solutions, providing online production management, reporting, and monitoring and high volume data processing. The position of Java Developer requires experience working closely with diverse development teams to develop software solutions in Java / Java EE for web-based, enterprise-class, high-speed solutions, providing online production management, reporting, monitoring, and high-volume data processing. The developer will be an integral member of the Electronic Research Administration (ERA) team and will be responsible for developing and testing modules, and applying well established skills and abilities requiring imaginative and practical approaches. Projects will include web services and modern browser-side MVC frameworks utilizing a test-driven development methodology and Agile (Scrum) project management; application development integrated with existing enterprise information systems (EIS), databases (SQL and other non SQL), and directories using a combination of web services, messaging, and direct SQL/LDAP access.
Due to university hiring procedures for nonstudent positions, this position will require a conviction check prior to the start of the appointment.
• Advanced degree in computer science or related filed; or Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with progressive development experience or significant professional experience developing software using modern Java EE (EE 5+) or other Java-based web application development frameworks (e.g. Spring Framework, JBoss Seam, Grails);
• Extensive experience in test-driven development practices;
• Comprehensive familiarity with the following standard Java EE APIs or specified alternatives such as CDI (or Spring Framework dependency injection), JPA (or Hibernate), JSF 2.x, JAXRS (or Jersey), JAXWS, JAXB, JNDI, JMS, JDBC, Java API for Web Sockets (JSR356);
• Working knowledge of SQL databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle;
• Demonstrated ability in planning, communicating, and achieving development goals;
• Ability to analyze and understand project requirements, and hands-on implementation of the requirements with existing and emerging Java EE technologies;
• Experience in designing and development of product and involvement in the change management of the maintenance and enhancements of the project to ensure that future direction is not impacted;
• Have strong open and proactive communication skills, be a self-motivated professional with the ability to provide creative solutions with strong problem-solving skills, and be able to work in a multidisciplinary team or independently.
• Active Java Certification such as Oracle Certified Web Component Developer;
• Experience with systems integration strategies and patterns, such as REST/SOAP web services, messaging, direct SQL/LDAP;
• Working knowledge of application configuration and deployment in Java EE /Web containers: Wildfly (JBoss AS 7+), Tomcat;
• Experience in application development using nonrelational (NoSQL) databases: e.g. Neo4j, MongoDB, Cassandra;
• Experience with Java web application development using the Eclipse IDE or similar, Maven, and Git;
• Experience with browser-side development automation using Grunt, Gulp, Bower, Node;
• Experience with infrastructure configuration management tools, such as Terraform, Docker, etc.;
• Experience and knowledge of the CI/CD pipelines and AWS cloud computing platform (S3, Lambda, CloudFront, IAM, SNS, SQS, CloudWatch, etc.);
• Experience developing applications using PHP;
• Experience working on project teams that utilize Scrum as their Agile approach to software development;
• Ability to obtain and maintain an export control or sanctions license, if required.
Commensurate with experience
February 12, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sandra Burks at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: January 16, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Development & Advancement Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg