Associate Vice President for Development / Executive Director of the Campaign
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Development and the Executive Director of the Campaign is a key member of the Advancement leadership team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting fundraising. The incumbent ensures administrative oversight of the University’s major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation fundraising, and Annual Giving, including direct supervision of the Executive Director for Development. Working closely in collaboration with and reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement, the incumbent fosters a collaborative team culture and establishes metrics for success. Leading by example, the AVP/Executive Director will effectively cultivate and successfully solicit a select portfolio of prospects and donors capable of making significant contributions to the institution. The AVP/Executive Director, in conjunction with university leadership, will finalize and manage the campaign strategic plan, develop comprehensive programs and develop campaign strategies; train volunteers and staff in campaign strategy and policies; and, provide supervisory functions for all major gift officers.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Manages Vision and Purpose: Oversight for university fundraising and comprehensive capital campaigns. Thorough understanding of gift management and stewardship.
- Builds Effective Teams: Thought leader who will move and inspire people with innovative ideas through direct supervision of a 22FTE team.
- Drive for Results: Focus on developing and managing metrics-driven major-gift fundraising programs and campaigns. Success in closing six and seven-figure gifts.
- Understands the Business: Expertise with goal setting, target donor development, prospect cultivation, donor research, gift solicitation, and acknowledgement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of fundraising programs, including individual, grant development annual fund programs; and a thorough understanding of gift management and stewardship.
- Demonstrated strong public relations and communication skills.
- Skill in planning and executing large campaigns.
- Ability to work with boards comprised of prominent individuals of stature.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff and volunteers and to work closely with faculty and senior-level administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team with multiple sets of expectations.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in budget management, and supervision of staff and staff development.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the use of information technology to support advancement programs.
- Strong oral and writing skills, including the ability to determine relevant information, from compelling cases for support, and digest and synthesize vast quantities of information.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, situations and demands and integrate change.
Oversee University Fundraising and comprehensive capital campaigns :
- Plan and ensure implementation of all University Development processes.
- Supervise creation of written prospect strategies for all major gift prospects and ensure regular review of process on each strategy.
- In conjunction with university leadership, finalize campaign plan and strategic issues.
- Ensure compliance with University fundraising policies, goals and procedures.
- Oversee the preparation of written proposals, informational materials, gift illustrations and other materials to secure major gifts.
- Staff the Tower Foundation campaign committee and provide support to volunteers, as needed.
- Provide leadership for the comprehensive campaign by determining viable fundraising plans, identifying appropriate donors, and determining and implementing solicitation strategies for each major donor.
- Oversee the identification and cultivation of major donor prospects.
- Train volunteers, faculty, and staff in fundraising strategy and policies.
- Represent San Jose State University locally, regionally and nationally.
- Collaborate with VP and UA leadership on prospect and donor strategies and goals.
- Management of professional and support staff, including recruitment, development, evaluation and retention.
- Allocation of personnel and financial resources to achieve the unit’s goals.
- Budget preparation and forecasting.
- Analysis and interpretation of department performance.
- Read, review and approve all Memoranda of Understanding for gift agreements with donors.
Development Communications :
- Coordinate communications (recognition, stewardship, information) of fundraising programs via various media, such as campus publications and electronic media working closely with University Advancement Marketing and Communications team.
- Spearhead the use of advanced marketing and outreach methods in the areas of mobile giving and social media.
Provide Campus Development Support :
- Review for approval or modification the fundraising plans of any campus component.
- Meet with college deans and other faculty to ensure appropriate levels of fundraising support are in place.
- Represent the Vice President for University.
- Represent the Vice President for University Advancement and/or the division by participating on Campus Committee Campus Development Support.
- Minimum of ten years of experience with at least seven to ten years serving at the director level or above in a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising program; a background of progressively increased responsibility in a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising program, including supervisory experience.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Responsibility in a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising program, including supervisory experience in a college or university.
- Preference for an advanced degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Experience with metrics-driven major-gift fundraising programs and campaigns.
- Substantial experience as a front-line fundraiser including personal success in closing six and seven-figure gifts.
- Experience with capital campaign design, implementation, reporting cycles, communications and completion, with preference for multiyear comprehensive campaign experience in a college or university.
- Experience in recruiting, training, leading, and evaluating staff engaged in major-gift fundraising.
- Experience with all elements required for fundraising program success, including goal setting, target donor development, prospect cultivation, donor research, gift solicitation, acknowledgement, and stewardship.
- Experience working with foundation management, reporting requirements, and governing board processes and support requirements.
Classification: Admin IV
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
This position is open until filled.
Selected candidates will be placed in one of the following shifts based on operational needs.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Refer all inquiries to:
Mary Lou Youngblood
Senior Executive Recruiter, Talent Acquisition
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, California
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: January 15, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Development & Advancement Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Alumni Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose