Police Officer (Two Positions)
Job Posting Title Police Officer (Two Positions) Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office) Department Location Police Services Posting Number C01381P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the direction of the Chief of Police/designee and subject to District regulations and Los Rios Police Department ( LRPD ) General Orders, provide police services at District locations, protecting life and property using a community-based policing approach that fosters positive public relations; investigating crimes; enforcing federal, state and municipal laws, and District policies and regulations. [For a detailed job description for this SEIU (Blue Collar) posting posting Job Descriptions click here ].
This position is assigned to Los Rios Police Department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full SEIU contract agreement details)
● Typically assigned to one of the four Los Rios District colleges, patrol District property, both on foot and by vehicle.
● Responds to reports of disturbances.
● Secures scenes for public safety and additional emergency response.
● Detains suspects.
● Secure/unlock District facilities in absence of custodial staff.
● Investigates fire/intrusion alarm calls and reset alarms.
● Enforces District policies and regulations, and federal, state and municipal laws pertaining to parking, moving violations and criminal activity.
● Investigates crime.
● Follows rules of evidence.
● Counsels, issue citations, and makes arrests on District property.
● Provides traffic control.
● Provides services for gatherings, assemblies or other District activities.
● Meets with owners of cited vehicles to discuss citations.
● Posts vehicle abandonment notices and contact vendor for tow away.
● Appears in court.
● Conducts regular safety surveys.
● Reports facility/grounds issues to the dispatch center.
● Maintain and performs minor repairs to daily parking meters.
● Secures District property.
● Maintains public safety on District property.
● Transports and processes individuals at appropriate detention facility.
● Serve and enforces court orders and suspension notices.
● Advises public on use of facilities and direct unauthorized groups/individuals to depart District property.
● Renders emergency first aid and CPR .
● Refers student code of conduct and equity violations to appropriate officials and attend hearings.
● Works with outside agencies as needed.
● Responds to accidents and illnesses on District property.
● Transports ill or injured students or staff to appropriate location.
● Assists with collection and transport of revenues.
● Provides safety escorts.
● Performs vehicle jump starts and unlocks.
● Responds to calls on elevator problems.
● Receives, take and hold for safe-keeping all recovered, found or abandoned property.
● Delivers recovered property to Lost and Found.
● Promotes public relations.
● Serves as members of committees, teams and projects.
● Conducts presentations.
● Prepares a variety of reports, documents and correspondence.
● Documents statements from relevant parties.
● Documents accident and incident scenes through use of appropriate audio/visual equipment.
● May oversee temporary employees and volunteers.
● Performs related work as required.
Additional Information Work Year 12 month Work Schedule
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours per week Special Requirements
Meet the requirements of applicable Government Code Sections, including but not limited to, sections, 1029, 1030, and 1031. Successful completion of a basic academy, or equivalent, certified by the commission on Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.), license to carry firearms, and meet all POST Peace Officer Selection Requirements by the date of hire.
Must be 21 years old.
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343.
Employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties.
Possess and maintain a valid first aid certificate issued by an authorized agency and a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate within 30 days of a conditional offer of employment.
EXPERIENCE : Must be 21 years old.
EDUCATION / SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS :
Possess and maintain all the requirements of the position, including but not limited to, the following: The requirements of applicable Government Code Sections, including but not limited to, sections 1029, 1030, 1031. Successful completion of a basic academy, or equivalent, certified by the commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training ( POST ), license to carry firearms, and meet all POST Peace Officer Selection Requirements by the date of hire. Must be 21 years old. Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. Possess and maintain a valid first aid certificate issued by an authorized agency, and a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate within 30 days of a conditional offer of employment.
Successfully complete a campus law enforcement course within two years of employment.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement.)
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
4. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $5,968.07 per month LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Date 01/15/2021 Closing Date 02/08/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15010 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Have you ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor
traffic violation (you must disclose convictions that have been
dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008)?
If yes, complete Form No. P-881 by clicking on the following link
and downloading the form to your computer: http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf
Attach the completed form with your application to this posting.
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P.O.S.T. Certificate