Part-Time Advisor I
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Advisor I meets with students in assigned discipline on a regular basis to provide advising, track academic progress and success/completion/retention. Advise students on proper course selection for credit programs and make appropriate referral to non-credit certificate programs including TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising. Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas/other departments in order to identify potential early interventions need; assist Department Directors in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Advises students in assigned department/discipline. Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success
- Assists students with reviewing their Academic Advising Report and creating their MEP (My Educational Plan)
- Advises students on proper course selection for assigned discipline/department credit certificate and degree programs and makes referrals to non-credit certificate programs. Advising includes TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising
- Acquires and processes data regarding students in assigned discipline in order to complete job function
- Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas (college staff and faculty) in order to identify potential early interventions needed
- Refers students to counselors, college resources (organizations) and outside organizations when necessary
- Assists the Directors/Managers in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events
- Develops department/position objectives and strategies
- Meets with students on a regular basis to track their progress and success. Maintains accurate documentation of meetings
- Monitors processes, materials and surroundings, ensuring accuracy and compliance with all relevant rules, regulations and policies at all times
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency with common office software
- High level of customer service
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
- Experience in a higher education setting
Hourly Pay Rate is $18.45
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Conroe