Skills Tutor - ESSS/PTA - Part Time
SKILLS TUTOR - EXERCISE SCIENCE AND SPORTS STUDIES (ESSS) / PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT (PTA) - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor – Skills provides students with tutoring and instructional support in an academic or occupational area of study to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Assists tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses. Works with students in various programs across the colleges, providing individual and small group tutoring in math, reading, writing, English, and other subject areas. Tutors also work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; and provide on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis on a wide range of subjects in an academic or occupational area.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of course materials and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at a college’s Tutoring/ Learning Resource/Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area, course or discipline.
- Assists the tutee in learning how to think (critical thinking) and problem solve in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students in common core standards and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and academic advisors regrading academic progress of individual students
- Maintains records on tutoring activities. Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as required.
- Associate’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Exercise Science and Sports Studies (ESSS) / Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or related subject
- Completion of tutoring certification and previous tutoring experience preferred
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!