Public Safety Officer II
The Public Safety Department at Rhode Island School of Design ( RISD) is actively building a recruitment list for a number of anticipated vacancies within the spring 2021 semester. We welcome applicants with proven experience interacting with community members representing diverse backgrounds and interests as well as applicants who embrace our vision and mission. RISD’s Department of Public Safety ensures that students, employees, guests and campus properties are safe by providing emergency services 24hrs/7 days a week in an urban campus environment. Patrolling the campus in distinctly marked cruisers, on foot and bicycle, we provide emergency medical and incident response, comprehensive building and campus property security, parking enforcement, shuttle, and escort service.
This position is covered under a Collective Bargaining Agreement between Rhode Island School of Design and the Rhode Island School of Design Public Safety Officers’ Association. As a condition of this role, incumbents in this position are expected to satisfactorily complete medical, physical, and psychological assessments and a comprehensive background investigation. RISD Public Safety officers are also required to successfully complete a Field Training and Evaluation Program upon hire.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Conduct foot and mobile security patrols of all campus
property. Identify and detain violators to turn over to proper
- Conduct initial investigation of incidents and file written
reports as required.
- Review report logs and provide immediate follow up; works
closely with personnel from municipal fire and police department or
other outside agencies.
- Respond to all calls for service including lockouts, escorts,
noise complaints, etc., in a prompt, courteous, and professional
- Respond to all medical emergencies and provide emergency
medical care as required. Contacts emergency responders such as
police, fire and/or ambulance as required. Investigate all
"accidents" on campus.
- Observe, investigate, and report any safety or fire hazards
present on campus.
- Enforce college parking regulations through physical patrol of
all parking lots.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of all campus security posts
including Quad and Central Control.
- A high school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of
education and experience is required.
- One to two years of security or related experience is preferred
and formal security training is desired.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical examination, insurance. and
driver’s record check, and National Crime Records check and must be
- The incumbent is required to become a State of RI licensed EMT
and to complete the RI College & University Public Safety
Training Academy within two years of the date of hire as a
condition of continued employment. Successful completion of
training in OC Spray, PR-24, and handcuffing procedures is required
within a timeframe established by the Public Safety Department but
no later than two months from hire date.
- Must obtain and maintain CPR and Emergency First Aid
- A valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to work in an intercultural environment that
reflects the diversity of our students, staff, and faculty, and
embraces our vision and mission.
Public Safety Officers' Association
Shift and days off will be assigned once hired; weekend and 2nd or 3rd shift duties are a possibility . Willingness to work additional shifts, overtime assignments, and flexible hours as needed.
This is an essential personnel position, which requires employees to report to work during emergencies and when RISD is closed due to weather or other situations.
05/PS - PSU
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Safety & Security
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Security Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence