Assistant Director of Stewardship
Assistant Director of Stewardship
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $500 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
The Assistant Director of Stewardship is responsible for ensuring the acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship of gifts to Whitman College. The Assistant Director of Stewardship develops familiarity with College programs and knowledge of operational procedures in order to promote Whitman College as a worthy recipient of charitable gifts.
- Writes timely and gracious acknowledgment letters to donors and acknowledges other special gifts under the supervision of the Director of Donor Relations and Development Communications.
- Manages the stewardship of scholarship endowments, including the student thank you note process for named scholarships.
- Develops and helps implement a plan for stewardship of largest donors.
- Helps facilitate interdepartmental communication on issues of stewardship and ensures proper recordkeeping of stewardship activities.
- Composes endowment and other stewardship reports to donors as needed or assigned.
- Researches donor histories and gathers information on gift purposes and programs. Assists with signage and documentation as needed.
- Assists in writing copy for and/or edits solicitation and promotional pieces for the Development Office, including case statements, fundraising brochures, and other Development materials as assigned.
- Helps prepare materials for the Annual Report of Gifts, maintain endowment descriptions and web copy, and completes other projects as assigned.
- Occasionally, assists with clerical, data entry, event, or other tasks in Development Office as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Assistant Director of Stewardship must be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the job, including, but not limited to:
- Exemplary writing, proofreading, and communication skills with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- The ability to identify and gather information from a variety of sources and to use that information to generate written materials that demonstrate accuracy, creativity, appropriate voice, and personalization for diverse audiences and/or individuals;
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, working know ledge of other Microsoft Office programs, and the ability to learn to use design templates, databases, software, and other office resources;
- Demonstrate initiative, working both independently and effectively as a part of the department team;
- Organization, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and to be flexible in a fast-paced environment with numerous deadlines and pressures;
- The ability to contribute actively and positively to the College's core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, including the ability to communicate effectively and establish congenial working relationships with diverse individuals and groups, including staff, faculty, overseers and trustees, donors, volunteers, alumni, students, parents, and other friends of the College; and
- Commitment to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive
- A bachelor's degree
- Three years of writing experience in a professional capacity
Experience relating to fundraising and/or writing for higher education
Full-time hourly position with work hours Monday through Friday 8 AM - 5 PM. Travel required for conferences once or twice per year. Evening or weekend hours a few times a year for department or college events.
Application review will begin February 1, and will continue until the position is filled.
March 15, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=35