Post-Secondary Education Navigator
Post-Secondary Education Navigator
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 77,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education. CCC supports students in meeting their goals – whether that is pursuit of a credential to head into or advance in the workforce, an associate degree with the intention to transfer to a four-year college, free GED or ESL courses, or continuing education.
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) has entered into partnership with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) to support the Learn.Plan.Succeed (LPS) initiative that requires all CPS students to create and graduate with a post-high school life plan that clarifies their career and education goals and provides a plan of action for best fulfilling their goals for a successful future.
Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor of High School Partnerships, Post-Secondary Education Navigator positions implement coaching strategies to provide support to CPS high school students interested in postsecondary opportunities at CCC. Post-Secondary Education Navigator positions work with prospective students in helping them define their long-term goals, identify obstacles, and carry out the concrete steps needed to execute their plans and achieve their goals.
Positions acts as liaisons between CPS and CCC, working collaboratively with CPS networks and postsecondary leadership teams and college student services staff to:
- provide students with in-depth information about CCC’s educational programs across its seven campuses, including degree, career and technical education, and certificate programs;
- assist students in making informed decisions about their educational and life goals, helping them select pathways aligned to their academic goals and career interests;
- help students connect their education and academic goals to career goals and employment opportunities; and
- support students in navigating each stage of the application and enrollment process, connecting students and helping them engage with institutional resources including financial aid.
Post-Secondary Navigators must travel on a regular basis to high schools, attend CPS post-secondary team meetings, and CCC Student Service team meetings to stay fully aware of updates. Availability to work some evening and weekends is required. Performs related duties as required.
- Serves as information leads for CPS students matriculating to City Colleges of Chicago, and for CPS post-secondary leadership teams including College and Career Specialists and counselors. This includes specialized knowledge on CCC programs and pathways, CCC initiatives such as Early College, Transitional coursework, STAR and Career Launch, and all processes related to registration.
- Implements plans to increase students’ awareness of CCC’s varied program offerings, careers that are associated with each pathway and relevant employment data to help students make informed decisions in line with their career and life goals.
- Works with postsecondary leadership team in developing and implementing strategies across assigned high schools to identify and support student needs and provide targeted coaching to students around key areas of need related to CCC.
- Meets with students individually and in groups, coaching and guiding students in researching and exploring City Colleges of Chicago programs and career options, occupational job programs, apprenticeship programs in alignment with CCC offerings.
- Provide a range of services and resources to encourage and guide students in exploring the variety of available occupational, career and educational paths, define their career and education goals.
- Develops and utilizes academic and personal inventories/tools for use by students in exploring and identifying their academic, personal, and career interests and aspirations, and to articulate their postsecondary goals for a successful future.
- Supports students interested in City Colleges of Chicago in meeting their articulated postsecondary goals by ensuring goal alignment with selected pathways or programs at City Colleges of Chicago, including considering relevant labor market data.
- Works with and assists students in carrying out steps needed to enroll at CCC, including completing FAFSA forms, completing the admissions application process, navigating the placement testing process, and providing guidance on the enrollment process.
- Works with and ensures students are effectively using Naviance District Edition software in planning for their postsecondary pathway, including completing future-ready activities, researching careers, reviewing individualized assessments, and using college planning tools to create their post-high school plan.
- Leads summer melt efforts by working with caseloads of applicants from all CPS high schools. Provides outreach and support to caseload students during summer months, contacting prospective students to increase awareness of CCC deadlines, and to encourage students to complete required steps towards enrollment at a CCC campus. Provides regular communication about CCC summer melt initiatives to CPS counselors and postsecondary leaders.
- Provides presentations to students interested in CCC’s two-year degree programs, including liberal arts and sciences programs, and Centers of Excellence programs in focus areas such as nursing, health careers, information technology, and manufacturing.
- Conducts workshops that inform and prepare students on topics relating to financing their college education including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and scholarships.
- Coordinates logistics for students to attend CCC college visits, and in-depth visits into special programs based on student interest.
- Supports CCC’s Admissions Office, contacting prospective and new students to answer questions and provide information on CCC’s special admissions programs and student expectations.
- Reviews and evaluates special admissions applications to verify proper completion and submission of documents to meet a program’s enrollment requirements.
- Works collaboratively with Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, and other key stakeholders to create a seamless transition from application through enrollment and registration process for students.
Reports To Associate Vice Chancellor of High School Partnerships
Direct Reports None
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
- Three years of work experience in student services, preferably at a community college.
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license.
- Must be able to travel frequently to CPS high schools and CCC campuses.
- Must be abler to work some evenings and weekends.
- Passion for supporting students, especially first-generation college goers in pursuit of their goals.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, initiative, dependability, and commitment to customer service.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Naviance software highly desirable.
- Knowledge of CCC academic programs and pathways, enrollment procedures, financial aid (including FAFSA/verification practices), Early College program, transitional coursework, Star Scholarship program, and related CCC initiatives.
- Knowledge of best practices in college and career exploration.
- Knowledge of labor market data analysis for relevant career programs.
- Experience using student and cohort level data in decision making.
- Proficiency in Project Management highly desirable.
- Moderate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Bilingual abilities are a plus.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within six (6) months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Career Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago