Custodian (2 positions)
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Staff at Cabrillo College support quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
This full-time, 12 months per year, Custodian position, individually or as a crew member performs custodial and cleaning duties in specified College buildings and adjacent grounds.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 2.75% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 1% Filipino, 0.25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2019. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
As a classified staff member at Cabrillo College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives.
Examples of Duties
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, waxes, polishes, strips, seals and buffs floors
- Vacuums and shampoos rugs and carpets in all designated areas
- Cleans and spots carpets
- Dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork which includes desks
- Cleans black and white boards
- Empties, cleans and lines waste receptacles and disposes of trash and/or recycle materials
- Picks up trash in adjacent grounds areas
- Washes doors, windows, walls, ceilings, venetian blinds, furniture and light fixtures
- Cleans drinking fountains
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms including floors, walls, fixtures and mirrors and restocks restroom supplies as necessary
- Moves office and classroom furniture and equipment
- Replaces light bulbs and may make minor non-technical repairs to buildings and fixtures
- Reports the need for maintenance and repair and assists others in making repairs as needed
- Closes windows, turns lights on and off
- Locks and unlocks doors and secures buildings
- Keeps basic records of work performed, timesheets, etc.
- Observes safe working practices, including maintaining storage areas in a safe condition
- Corrects or reports any safety or fire hazards
- Attends departmental safety meetings; incorporates new safety procedures into existing job duties as directed by supervisor
- Uses technology to convey and receive safety and job-related instructions
- Follows label instructions to mix and dilute cleansers, disinfectants and stripping agents to ensure proper strength for use
- Safely operates College vehicles and a variety of custodial tools, equipment and supplies, including buffers and vacuum cleaners
- Maintains equipment and materials in proper condition
- May assist in setting up rooms for special meetings and equipment for classes
- May communicate with faculty and/or administrative staff to determine specific cleaning requirements
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to completion of the tenth grade and two years of housekeeping, janitorial or custodial experience.
Please note: One year of basic maintenance or related professional work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis up to one year.
- Custodial experience in a large institutional setting (e.g. hospital or school district)
- Cleaning techniques and materials used in custodial work
- Proper cleaning methods, and the safe use of cleaning materials, disinfectants, custodial tools and equipment
- Proper use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in custodial work
- Safety practices and equipment related to the work
- Safe driving methods and techniques
- Use cleaning materials, equipment and methods according to established industry and safety standards
- Learn and apply proper cleaning procedures and safe use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work
- Maintain tools and equipment assigned in clean working order and provide proper security
- Safely drive College vehicles and lift heavy objects
- Communicate effectively
- Understand and follow oral and written directions and safety procedures
- Complete assignments without immediate supervision
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those encountered in the course of the work
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and safe driving record during the course of employment
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to maneuver equipment and furniture weighing up to 90 pounds, with proper equipment
- Must be willing to work at various college sites, off-hour shifts under various weather conditions and overtime as necessary
- Must be willing to be exposed to a variety of chemical cleaning and related products, using appropriate safety equipment and procedures
Starting Salary Range: $2,958 to $3,261 per month; maximum initial salary step placement on the classified salary schedule is step 3. Full-time assignment, 12 months per year. Monday through Thursday, 6:00 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. and Friday 4:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
Benefits: Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
- Completed application
- Answer Supplemental Questions
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. A position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
A search committee will review and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. Selected applicants will be required to pass a bilingual/biliterate test prior to being invited for an interview. A written performance exercise and/or presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists may be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Aptos