Adjunct Instructor - VCUarts - Fashion Design + Merchandising
Job Code/Title AJ - Adjunct Position Number J00001 Working Title Adjunct Instructor - VCUarts - Fashion Design + Merchandising Department Fashion Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range VCUarts Standard Adjunct Rate Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Adjunct - Teaching Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Adjunct - Teaching Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
Description of the Job:
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) department of Fashion Design + Merchandising is establishing a pool of applicants for possible adjunct teaching positions. This pool of applicants could be drawn upon to provide temporary staffing when needed; to provide special teaching expertise when needed; and/or to meet special programmatic needs not otherwise provided for within the program. The applicant pool will remain active until the listed closing date of the job posting. Given these criteria, this pool will only be assessed when an adjunct opportunity arises. Possible adjunct opportunities could include teaching a course(s) in any of the areas of study offered by the department of Fashion Design + Merchandising. If an adjunct opportunity arises, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Adjunct faculty are expected to be thoughtful and proactive members of the Fashion Design + Merchandising community and have a desire to work with a diverse student population in a collaborative, inclusive and learning-centered collective.
1. Terminal degree ( MFA ) in a related field, or BFA with additional training and/or professional experience that equates and/or parallels the artistic development expected in a terminal degree holder.
2. Appropriate teaching experience and/or strong oral presentation and communication skills.
3. Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Demonstrated skills and experience in one or several of the following areas of expertise:
1. Market and trend research experience – regularly shopping the European and Asian markets, product awareness and competitive pricing.
2. Familiarity with NYC garment district suppliers (fabric, trims, novelty goods) and resources.
3. Address concept development and presentation skills:create mood and inspiration packages- using primary and secondary sources- both traditionally and digitally.
4. Generate iteration of color, trim, and textile palettes.
5. Proficiency in patternmaking, draping and construction- knowledge of knits and wovens.
6. Strong visual and communication skills, experience in garment sourcing, excellent Adobe Creative Suites (specifically Illustrator and Photoshop) Microsoft Excel, and PDM skills.
7. Ability to develop original surface design, print repeats and textile manipulation.
8. Create action and technical flats with specifications.
9. Establish technical package templates.
Job Open Date 01/13/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
To Apply, please submit application materials via VCU eJobs at www.vcuejobs.com. Only electronic applications submitted via eJobs will be accepted.
Application materials should include the following:
1. Current CV or Resume
2. A list of Three current references including names, addresses, phone numbers and email address ( references will not be contacted prior to applicant’s approval)
This job posting is being established to recruit a “pool” of applicants to be drawn upon to provide temporary staffing when needed, to provide special expertise when needed, and/or to meet special programmatic needs not otherwise provided for within the department.
Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102748 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)