Postdoctoral Research Associate - formulations stability and experimental multiphase fluid dynamics
Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoctoral Research Associate - formulations stability and experimental multiphase fluid dynamics Department Chemical & Life Science Engineering Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $47,500 to $55,000 Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Research Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Description of the Job
The College of Engineering at Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering, has a postdoctoral position available. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to develop and expand upon a diversified technical skill set while making a positive contribution to understanding in new water-lubricant emulsion challenges in product development while fundamentally elucidating the impact of surfactant physical chemistry on emulsion stability in lubrication formulations.
This project will develop a quantitative description of the emulsion dynamics for homologous formulations of representative systems short and long chain surfactant lubricant formulation additives. Translation of observed emulsion phenomena into first principles derived emulsion properties will allow both connection of the properties to the multi-component systems of real formulations and address formulation challenges or new characterization tests efficiently. The determined properties can be effectively applied to commercial formulations either through improved component selection (based on key properties that drive performance) or formulation optimization taking advantage of properties determined.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in thermophysical characterization of surfactant dynamics in fluid phases. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in light scattering techniques. In this position, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work and collaborate with a vast network of scientists and engineers from the academe and industry.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry
- Experience with dynamic light scattering, diffusing wave spectroscopy, or other photon correlation spectroscopy techniques.
- Experience with multiphase fluid-fluid systems, eg. emulsions or foams.
- Ability to mentor junior team members, and ensure the highest levels of laboratory safety.
- Excellent communication skills are needed to ensure accuracy of reporting, including the ability to develop and justify original research proposals, compose manuscripts for publication, and verbally describe research efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
-Ability to work under tight deadlines and short turnaround times
- Expertise in the areas of surfactant chemistry, photon correlation spectroscopy, and formulations chemistry.
- Using mathematical models to relate dynamic light scattering and diffusing wave spectroscopy to the emulsion evolution
- Develop structure property relationships for surfactant formulations and stability in disperse systems.
Job Open Date 01/13/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates for consideration must upload a cover letter of interest, CV, and two professional references to include emails and phone numbers in a single PDF file. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until the position is filled. Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
VCU is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102739 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please describe your research experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you find out about this position?
- ○ Alumni association magazine
- ○ Chronicle of Higher Education
- ○ Community event
- ○ Email notification
- ○ HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- ○ Higher education publication
- ○ Internal Recruiter
- ○ Job fair
- ○ Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- ○ Listserv
- ○ Newspaper
- ○ Professional association/journal
- ○ Referred by person/employee
- ○ Search firm notification
- ○ VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- ○ Other
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond