Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety Officer
Staff Posting Details
Appointment: Regular, full time (1.0 FTE)
Position Summary: Campus Safety Officers work collaboratively with Security Services team members and others to promote a safe environment and protect the welfare of Puget Sound students, faculty, staff and campus visitors. They perform a variety of tasks that assure and enhance the safety of the Puget Sound campus and its members. Campus Safety Officers patrol campus; monitor the physical safety of campus buildings and grounds; provide courtesy escort services; and make referrals and offer a range of assistance to campus members. Campus Safety Officers remain alert to suspicious activities, investigate disturbances, provide first-line response for reported irregularities and emergency situations, support security for special events, and complete incident reports and other security related documentation. Campus Safety Officers provide leadership and training to part-time student staff members working within the Security Services department and support the success and safety of all Puget Sound students consistent with the university's mission and values. Campus Safety Officers are active members of the Puget Sound community and serve as promoters of a welcoming and inclusive culture.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Commitment to serve fairly, protect, and communicate, within a
diverse campus community
- Perform regular vehicle and foot patrols on campus to ensure
personal, building, and equipment security
- Respond to observations and/or reports of criminal
- Provides first responder medical aid to campus
- Inspect fire safety and burglar alarm equipment; provide fire
and burglar alarm response and investigation; and initiate repairs
- Complete security related documentation and incident
- Interact professionally and effectively with Tacoma Police and
Fire, and other external agencies
- Communicate effectively using two-way radio
- Contribute to campus safety by providing various crime
- Provide courtesy safety escorts for campus members via vehicle
- Perform campus parking enforcement
- Mentor, train, and informally evaluate on-duty part-time
- Regular attendance, including meetings and department
trainings, is an essential function of the position.
- Manage, participate in, and/or complete shift duties, daily
assignments and other duties as assigned to support department
activities and operations and meet campus needs
Some responsibility for part-time student staff. Distribute work and guide priorities, train staff, review and approve work, contribute to performance reviews, issue oral and written recommendations, recommend corrective action.
Candidates must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide
leadership within a diverse campus community; must be sensitive and
proactive to the needs of all community members and nurture an
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 1 year work experience in safety/security services/loss
prevention or similar
- 6 months work/volunteer experience providing customer
- Must act quickly and accurately
- Must demonstrate good judgment
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications or ability to obtain
within 6 months upon hire.
- Valid Washington state driver's license
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including days, evenings,
nights, weekends and holidays is required.
- Duty schedules may change to meet the business needs of the
department and university and staff must adjust
- Ability to work independently, and approach others in a
professional, respectful, and polite manner
- Physically able to run and to defend self and/or
- Must be able to carry/drag heavy objects
- Frequently lifting/carrying up to (but not limited)1-10
- Being exposed to wet/humid conditions and changing temperatures
for extended time periods
- Must have ability to function (think clearly, be alert and
productive) during night and early morning shifts
- Must use campus resources to find creative solutions to
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Experience in safety and security in higher
- 2 years' work experience in safety/security services
- AA degree or equivalent related to security or
Compensation and Benefits: Pay rate for this position is $18.25 per hour. Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education, experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices-services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
- Letter of Interest
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, driving abstract, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and
differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth
of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by
investigation of and reflection upon multiple
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all
persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to
increase the diversity of all parts of our University community
through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention
efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among
all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and
supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all
who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders
for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, visit: https://www2.pugetsound.jobs/psc/HR92PRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&siteid=2