Associate Dean for Research
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number FA7030 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Associate Dean for Research School/Unit School of Social Work Department Social Work Number of Months 9 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the VCU School of Social Work is to prepare professional social workers as practitioners, scholars and leaders; to generate research and scholarship for advancing knowledge and practice; and to contribute to local, state, national, international and professional communities to improve quality of life. Guided by the principle of promoting social and economic justice in a diverse and multicultural society, our programs focus on service to and empowerment of people who experience oppression or vulnerability due to inadequate or inequitable distribution of personal, social or institutional resources.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) School of Social Work invites applications for Associate Dean for Research. A preeminent national, urban public university and health sciences center, VCU is one of only 28 public universities nationwide designated as top-tier in both research activity and community engagement. The University is located in the capital city of Richmond, recently ranked among the top 25 places to live in the U.S.
The Associate Dean for Research holds a major position in continuing to build the School’s standing in scholarly and academic excellence, expand its extramural funding base, and uphold its commitment to inclusive, community-engaged social work research. The Associate Dean for Research is the member of the Dean’s Executive Team who is responsible for advancing and overseeing the school’s research portfolio and infrastructure, creating and sustaining a culture of research excellence that involves faculty and students and developing a unified approach to the school’s research endeavors. The Associate Dean for Research guides and supports recruitment and retention of faculty with research assignments, faculty mentoring related to research; and, in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Faculty Development, works with faculty to develop Individual Development Plans that are integrated with their assigned work plan.
This Associate Dean for Research is a 50% administrative appointment. The incumbent will report to the Dean and will represent the School in stakeholder groups in and beyond the University, the community and the profession. Duties and responsibilities will include:
● Oversee the research office and collaborate with staff regarding research budgets, external grant development, grants and contracts management, and negotiation of project supports.
● Represent the School at the VCU Office of Research and Innovation and subsidiary offices, e.g., Office of Sponsored Programs, Research Development Advisory Committee (ReDAC), and other committees assigned by the dean.
● Serve on the Dean’s Executive Team regarding schoolwide planning and operations.
● Provide leadership and guidance by monitoring the School’s infrastructure to optimize external funding and research activities.
● Work with other VCU entities, e.g., Office of Research and Innovation, others schools and departments, and research centers and institutes to develop joint research infrastructure
● Perform discrete tasks delegated by the dean, e.g., represent the School with constituents; respond to inquiries and requests from central administration etc.
Research Grants and Contracts
● Work with other VCU entities, e.g., Office of Research and Innovation, others schools and departments, and research centers to develop interdisciplinary research projects
● Apprise the dean of funding opportunities and activities, e.g., budget, projects, needs
● Represent the School in external grant and contract negotiations, and contribute to grant/contract implementation as necessary
● Manage allocation of internal School research funds
Promote a Vibrant, Sustainable Culture of Research
● Develop and oversee a research mentoring program plan that supports faculty recruitment and retention and student research
● Coordinate research presentations and workshops with, by and for faculty and PhD students
● Chair and direct the School’s Faculty Research Development Committee
● Coordinate research office with director of communications re: website, social media etc.
● Communicate current and anticipated research policies and research activities through regular meetings with faculty
● Consult with PhD program director on GRA appointments to funded projects
● Currently tenured associate professor or full professor
● Doctoral degree in social work or a closely related discipline
● Well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of interdisciplinary applications and external funding that complements and extends existing expertise in the School
● A significant body of published research in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
● Extensive grants experience for government and foundation awards
● Demonstrated experience in mentoring junior faculty in research program development
● Significant interdisciplinary experience with social science and health-related disciplines
● Demonstrated experience in fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and a commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
● Excellent written and oral communication and organizational and problem-solving skills
● Ability to track, manage, and direct multiple tasks, set priorities, and work effectively with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Experience with federal grants and contracts
- Administrative leadership and supervisory experience in an academic setting.
Date Posted 01/11/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you may share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Please include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Statement of contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,
- Names and contact information for three references
Please direct questions and inquiries to Dr. Denise Burnette, Samuel S. Wurtzel Professor of Social Work and Search Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 1, 2021.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102707 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a doctoral degree in social work or closely
- * Do you have experience in grant writing, preparation and
- * Do you currently hold the rank of associate professor full
professor with tenure?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Urban & Regional Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond