Senior Research Scientist
University Code 33241 University Title Scientist 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Senior Research Scientist Position Number 588520 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Pharmacology & Toxicology Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Massey Cancer Center at Virginia Commonwealth University is seeking a Senior Research Scientist qualified in Structural Biology/X-ray Crystallography in cancer drug discovery in the laboratory of Dr. Said Sebti in Richmond, Virginia. The candidate must have a proven track record in cloning, protein expression, protein purification, and crystallographic structure determination of proteins and protein-ligand complexes to support Dr. Sebti’s drug discovery projects. The candidate will also participate in performing experiments to understand the mechanism of action of anti-cancer drugs. The research focus of Dr. Sebti’s laboratory is to understand at the basic science level how normal cells become malignant and to translate such fundamental knowledge to the clinic. Specifically, the candidates will be involved in exciting and highly integrated multi-disciplinary research projects concerning understanding aberrant oncogenic KRas signal transduction pathways in cancer and designing novel anti-cancer drugs based on this knowledge.
The VCU X-ray Macromolecular Crystallography Facility, is equipped with the following: Protein Crystallization Equipment (Gryphon Crystallization robot; Minstrel DT UV/ CrystalMation –Gallery DT; CrystalTrack, XTAL 750; Alchemist Liquid Handling System; CrysCam Digital Microscope and Olympus SZ51, Nikon SMZ -2T Microscopes). X-Ray Diffraction Equipment (AFC11 Goniometer; Hybrid Photon Counter; Eiger R 4M Detector; MicroMax-007HF X-ray Generator; VariMax-HF Arc Optics; Oxford Cobra Cryo-system for data collection at 100K; NitroFlowLab Nitrogen Generator). X-Ray Crystallography software (CCP4; Pymol; Phenix; Coot; CNS ; Solve/Resolve; CrysAlisPro; Olex2; ShelXS; ShelXT; Superflip; ShelXL)
Minimum Hiring Standards
PhD degree with 2+ years’ experience in solving high quality structures of biological complexes using x-ray crystallography.
1. Hands-on experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and/or pharmacology
2. Experience with in vitro and in vivo assay development as it relates to drug discovery
3. Ability to design and perform experiments, to manage research projects, and to analyze and interpret data, to make conclusions and plan forward.
4. Ability to maintain detailed documentation through electronic and notebook means.
5. Excellent past productivity as documented by publications
6. Demonstrated creativity, high motivation, solid communication skills and experience in writing progress reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
7. Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated ability to work professionally and efficiently within the research group as a team player.
8. A good understanding of biology and a track record in working closely with experimentalists and clinicians is preferred.
Candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity or a commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
Experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology, in vivo anti-tumor efficacy in animal models and/or drug discovery.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 01/11/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102625 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Pharmacology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond