Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoctoral Fellow Department Dentistry / Philips Institute Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Campus MCV Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week 29 hrs/wk max Normal work days Monday - Friday Normal work hours 8:00am - 5:00pm Job Category Laboratory Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Description of the Job
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to join the laboratory of Dr. Sun (https://dentistry.vcu.edu/contacts/profile/yue-sun/) in the Philips Institute for Oral Health Research & Massey Cancer Center, Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ). The research in our laboratory focuses on the abnormal signaling events and micro-environmental regulation in cancer progression. Currently, we are particularly interested in defining novel regulators that control Head and Neck cancer tumor initiation, metastasis, and response to immunotherapies. This research will lead to the development of novel anti-cancer therapies. The work will involve cell culture, biochemical characterization, functional cell biology assay, and transgenic mice models.
Our team is integrated into the Cancer Cell Signaling Program at our NCI -designated Cancer Center. This opportunity is ideal for postdocs who are interested in basic cancer research.
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Tumor Biology or equivalent training and/or experience
• Hands on experience on various molecular biology, protein chemistry, cell biology experiments
• Significant hands-on experience on cancer cell signaling transduction and mouse models studies
• Hands on experience on dark-field, fluorescence, and confocal microscopes, experience on live cell imaging
• Must be self-motivated and reliable
• Able to work both independently and as a part of a team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Attention to detail in experimental techniques and record keeping is critical
• Ability to train, evaluate and supervise graduates and undergraduates and peer mentor assistants
• Willingness and ability to work with mice
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as an employee at VCU
Preferred Qualifications Job Open Date 01/11/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Additional Information
Competitive salary with excellent benefits and travel opportunities will be provided commensurate with experience.
The funding resource to support this position is provided by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research ( NIDCR ) and the American Cancer Society ( ACS ).
VCU is located at Richmond, Virginia, in the east coast of United States and is close to Washington, D.C.
Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102580 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current VCU employee?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3