Lawson State Community College, a comprehensive community college with two campuses, seeks a visionary and experienced senior administrator, who will provide exceptional leadership as the President. The President reports to the Chancellor of the Alabama Community College System.
The President is the chief executive officer of the college and reports directly to the Chancellor of the Alabama Community College System. The President is responsible for business and community engagement, advancement, campus culture, and the student experience. The President is a champion for removing barriers to success through student-focused actions and support of expanded comprehensive services to students. The President is responsible for administering and supervising the total college program in the assigned college. As chief executive officer, the President must delegate authority and yet retain final responsibility for the effective operation of the college. ____________________________________________________________
- Cooperate with and support the ACCS Board and the Chancellor to enhance and promote the continued development and effectiveness of the ACCS as a comprehensive provider of post-secondary education and training.
- Demonstrate effective leadership and management skills within the College and external community, including leading by example and participation.
- Enhance, foster, cultivate, and promote strong, positive relationships with local business and industry, community organizations, K-12 schools, and elected state and community leaders.
- Fundraise and develop a strong, responsive College foundation.
- Conduct appropriate long-range strategic planning and budget formation, implementation, and adherence.
- Prepare and submit an annual, fiscally-responsible balanced operating budget and properly administer the approved budget.
- Institute policies and procedures that are consistent with ACCS Board policies and Chancellor’s procedures and that ensure compliance with, and effective administration of, Federal student financial aid and grant programs.
- Administer and operate all affairs of the college within state law, federal law, ACCS policies and guidelines, College policy, and in conformance with applicable accreditation and auditing standards.
- Supervise and maintain College buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Develop economic and workforce development training and educational offerings that facilitate the growth of business and industry in Alabama.
- Develop and implement effective recruitment, marketing, and retention plans.
- Employ strategies that allow easy access to education, training, and career pathways for historically underserved populations.
- Develop a culture of continuous improvement in teaching and learning that leads to increased student success.
- Work to ensure optimal student usage of STARS transfer guides for minimal loss of credit when students transfer to four-year universities and colleges, and a successful reverse transfer of credits for students from four-year institutions back to the College in order to complete a degree.
- Employ innovative strategies to ensure underprepared students have a viable pathway to success.
- Implement a variety of student success strategies that effectively promote completion of formal College awards, attainment of industry-recognized credentials, and preparation for jobs in Alabama.
- Employ and retain qualified and productive personnel through the implementation of an effective human resources program.
- Understand and follow Alabama law in the appointment, supervision, disciplining, and dismissing of College employees.
- Always display a highly professional attitude and demeanor.
- Communicate and consult with the Chancellor regarding material items of management and operation of the College.
- Effectively manage and resolve crises, problems, or conflicts.
- Expand existing, and create or develop new or innovative programming and educational opportunities (both credit and non-credit) to increase community engagement, promote workforce development, and generate revenue that supports ACCS missions and goals.
- Promote an organizational culture of professional excellence, customer service, innovation, quality services, and continuous improvement.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university or a Bachelor’s degree from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university with demonstrated management experience in the education field is required. Earned doctorate from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university is desired.
- Substantial experience in a senior management position in higher education or substantial experience in a senior management position in a field outside of higher education where such experience is deemed relevant to and provides a basis for judging, the candidate’s capability to serve as a community college president.
- Demonstrated experience in oral and written communications confirming the ability to effectively research ideas, organize thoughts, and persuade diverse internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of the mission and role of public two-year institutions, particularly their important role in community economic development and workforce development is required.
- Experience in interpreting organizational needs, programs, and activities to the employees, community organizations and agencies, area school systems, the Legislature, and providing services training for business and industry is required.
- Committed to the community college concept of quality education.
- Committed to the professional development of faculty and staff.
- Student-oriented in the sense of recognizing that all aspects of the college are to facilitate learning and student development, with the student obtaining a level of competency and the student being kept informed of progress.
- Committed to the offering of programs that are relevant to the current needs of business and industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the academic transfer programs and evidence of ability to work with the four-year institutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the technical programs and evidence of ability to work with business and industry.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to all facets of the community, including the needs of the various groups of which it is comprised.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member, which includes all segments of the college faculty, staff, students, and governing boards.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, and coordinating abilities in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to project a positive public image.
To be considered for this position, a complete application package must be received in the ACCS Human Resources office on or before February 11, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. CST. Application materials will be accepted via mail delivery, hand delivery, or via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). Faxed application materials will not be accepted. A complete application packet consists of:
- A letter of interest;
- A completed official presidential application form;
- A comprehensive résumé or curriculum vitae;
- A list of five references, including complete contact information for each reference;
- Unofficial college transcripts, including identification of the applicant, the institution, and the degree(s) earned.
Application forms may be obtained at www.accs.edu under “Job Postings” or by calling (334) 293-4628. A complete application packet must be submitted to:
ACCS Human Resources
Attn: Ms. Nikita Payne
P. O. Box 302130
Montgomery, AL 36130-2130
Applications may be e-mailed to email@example.com or hand-delivered to:
135 South Union Street
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range is $190,000 to $260,000 and other allowances are provided. Benefits include a retirement plan, health insurance, and others. Questions regarding the application and selection processes may be referred to Ms. Nikita Payne, Director of Human Resources, by phone at (334) 293-4603 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful candidate must be available to assume the position within a reasonable time and must be willing to relocate to the college community. Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts and submit to a criminal background check.
The selection process is subject to the Alabama Sunshine Law.