Program Chair/Associate Professor- Communication Design
Stephens College seeks a dynamic and innovative academic colleague to serve as the Program Chair of its new interdisciplinary Communication Design program.
The successful candidate will bring a proven record of administrative and teaching success, strong organizational skills, and an engaging, collaborative leadership style. This appointment carries a ten-month annual workload and a three-year contract that may be renewed.
The Program Chair will report to the Dean of the School of Arts and Humanities and will work closely with the faculty and program chairs of undergraduate degrees in communication design, fashion communication, and fashion marketing and management. The Communication Design program is home to a new interdisciplinary design agency that pairs students with faculty and professionals to produce award-winning publications, advertising and public relations campaigns, Web designs projects, social media campaigns, multimedia presentations and other services for academic and professional clients. It is also the site of an exciting new partnership with the Lillian Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communication at Florida International University in Miami. The Program Chair will be responsible for working with agency staff to explore and leverage the professional opportunities and networks presented by this new partnership for the benefit of students and faculty.
The successful candidate will:
- Supervise and develop the department’s curriculum and experiential programs;
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate, and develop a strong and collegial faculty;
- Recruit and advise students;
- Develop and maintain assessment instruments, including program reviews;
- Oversee the department’s budget and allocation of resources, course scheduling and departmental facilities;
- Establish connections with professional organizations and leading practitioners in the field;
- Maintain active research, scholarship and/or creative professional practice in the field.
- Assist the Dean and Institutional Advancement in fundraising and advancing the program’s profile;
- Serve on faculty and campus committees; and
- Maintain a teaching load to be agreed upon with the Dean as other responsibilities allow.
Education: Terminal degree in Communications Design or a related field from an accredited institution, domestic or international.
Experience: Candidates should have at least 3-5 years of administrative and teaching experience at the post-secondary level, as well as professional or creative practice in Communications Design or a related field. Successful candidates will demonstrate strong administrative and interpersonal skills, as well as strong inter-cultural competence and the ability to work with diverse populations.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
To apply: please submit to the Stephens College application
- Cover letter;
- Portfolio of 10 examples of professional and student work;
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
Stephens College, located in the center of Columbia, Missouri, is the second-oldest women’s college in the nation. Since its founding in 1833, Stephens has offered innovative, career-focused academic programs in the liberal and creative arts, and in the health sciences. Stephens also provides graduate, online and certificate programs to women and men, including degrees in Physician Assistant Studies, Education/Counseling, Health Information Management, and Script- and Screenwriting from its satellite campus at the Jim Henson Studies in Los Angeles. The College’s learning community is distinguished by small classes, close engagement with faculty, intellectual rigor and innovative programs that meld academic and applied learning. Columbia, Missouri, is home to the state’s flagship university of 30,000 students; it is consistently rated as a top 10 college town and as one of the best 25 places to live in the country.
Stephens College is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer. A diverse community on campus is valued, so women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Communications Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Other Communications Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Public Relations & Advertising Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Columbia