Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, Design & Interactivity
The Department of Art at St. Cloud State University seeks an individual with a specialization in interactive and user interface/user experience (UI/UX) design who can teach introductory through advanced graphic design courses within the BFA major. Designers with an active practice, professional engagement in the field and knowledge of current and emerging technologies are strongly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have a strong spirit of collaboration, will be committed to interdisciplinary teaching and dialogue and will be invested in working with diverse groups. A willingness to grow the department to meet the realities of the contemporary job marketplace and to develop curriculum associated with interactivity, motion graphics and design thinking are critical elements associated with this position.
The successful candidate will teach three to four classes per semester, dependent on whether courses are studio- or classroom-based. Course load in Fall and Spring semesters will involve teaching a combination of introductory, intermediate and advanced graphic design courses, some particularly oriented towards interactivity, web design and the use of new technologies. A foundations course based on learning the Adobe Creative Cloud may also be part of the teaching responsibility. Courses to be taught may be adjusted as our curriculum evolves.
The successful candidate will also mentor and advise graphic design majors who seek careers as design professionals as well as work with students from across the university campus who have an interest in pursuing interdisciplinary work within graphic design. The department strongly encourages developing community contacts for our internship program.
In order to be considered for tenure, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to: 1) teach and/or perform assignments effectively; 2) conduct scholarly research and/or engage in creative works; 3) continue preparation and study in their discipline; 4) contribute to student growth and development; and 5) provide service to the university and community. (IFO Article 22, Section B)
- MFA or equivalent in graphic design or related field required by date of appointment.
- Strong body of design work relative to the position description.
- Demonstrated effectiveness of teaching in higher education, which may include teaching assistantships.
- Record of assessment and continuous improvement.
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Record of professional experience as a designer.
- Evidence of successful online teaching and assessment.
- Evidence of collaborative design work across and beyond the arts.
Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application will include the each of the following as a PDF document:
- 20 images of candidate’s professional work or related materials
- Contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Evidence of Teaching Experience and Effectiveness (examples from at least two of the following: sample assignments, summaries of student evaluations, or examples of student work)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) (undergraduate/graduate/PhD); official transcripts will be required upon hire
To learn more about the school and department:
The Department of Art serves more than 200 studio art, graphic design, art education, and art history students. It is situated within the School of the Arts and has a strong commitment to contemporary art and design education. Cross-disciplinary research and collaboration are encouraged in the department and university. The Kiehle Visual Arts Center sits on the banks of the Mississippi River, sixty miles north of the Twin Cities metropolitan area, home to the Walker Art Center and Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Both the Twin Cities and St. Cloud have thriving design communities as well as a range of galleries and art centers. St. Cloud State University is a comprehensive university of approximately 12,000 students and is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
The successful candidate is expected to establish and maintain a professional goal to become an outstanding teacher-scholar through the use of research-based, best-practices pedagogy. They are expected to teach using both in-person and alternative delivery methods such as online and hybrid. They will regularly engage in ongoing professional development and innovation opportunities focused on pedagogical growth.
The successful candidate will share St. Cloud State’s commitment to our mission, and in particular, the value we place in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as outlined in SCSU’s It’s Time strategic framework. Notably, we uphold the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion and engage in intentional actions to address systemic inequities throughout the university and surrounding environment. DEI values, practices, and strategies are embedded into the fabric of our institution and campus community, and they align with the priorities expressed in the Minnesota State system’s Equity 2030 initiative. SCSU expects all of its employees to help advance these practices and to contribute to the development of an anti-racist, inclusive community.
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found here.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regards to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or status as a U.S. veteran. The Interim Title IX coordinator at St. Cloud State University is Judith Siminoe. For additional information, contact the Office of Institutional Equity & Access, (320) 308-5123, Admin. Services Bldg. Rm 121
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Saint Augusta
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Saint Augusta
- Art Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Saint Augusta
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Saint Augusta