Assistant Professor AY
The Building Construction Department within the Myers-Lawson School of Construction (MLSoC) is seeking applicants for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank to begin Fall 2021 in Blacksburg, VA. This position is a nine-month, full-time appointment dedicated primarily to the teaching, research and service missions of the School.
MLSoC is a joint venture between the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture and Urban Studies with undergraduate programs in Construction Engineering and Management (ABET-accredited) and Building Construction (ACCE-accredited). A successful candidate for this tenure-track position will be expected to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, establish a substantial externally-funded research program, maintain an active scholarship agenda, and promote the MLSoC through national and international engagement.
MLSoC is dedicated to inclusion, serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We are seeking a candidate who will adopt and practice the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. We actively seek a broad spectrum of candidates to join our faculty in preparing the future leaders of the construction industry. MLSoC does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Prior to hire, all applicants must pass a criminal background check.
• Ph.D. in construction or a closely related field of study, by appointment start date.
• Publications in the applicant’s research field.
• Expertise in one or more areas that complements our curriculum and current research teams, including but not limited to: Human-centered health and safety; resilience; smart materials; workforce development and labor management; data science and analytics; qualitative and quantitative methods; city/community development; building energy and sustainability; design, construct and manufacture integration and lifecycle management.
• Demonstrated record of effective teaching in higher education (e.g., through evidence of student and/or faculty evaluations of teaching).
• Demonstrated experience in academic program service.
• Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse communities and building inclusive cultures (e.g., through outreach, service, program development).
• 2 years of professional experience in construction or a related discipline.
• Certification and/or licensure related to the applicant’s professional field (e.g., PMP, CCM, PE, RA) is encouraged.
Applicants must apply online at jobs.vt.edu. Complete applications will include the following:
1) a cover page summarizing your teaching and research experience, area of expertise, and future research plan;
2) curriculum vitae,
3) two-page research statement describing your research experience, interests, and future plans;
4) two-page teaching and service statement describing your approach to develop and teach courses (in-person and remote), serve the profession, University, and broader community;
5) one page statement of diversity philosophy describing your experiences and/or commitments to facilitate diversity and inclusion;
6) two samples of research publications (published or under review);
7) a list of three references.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. Inquiries concerning the position or application process should be directed to Roslyn Garrison, CAUS HR Division Director, email@example.com.
Other Opportunities with the Department of Building Construction
Please note that this search is for a tenure track Assistant Professor position. Additionally, the Department of Building Construction is currently also recruiting for an Assistant Professor of Practice position. If your qualifications align better with the position of Assistant Professor of Practice, please consider submitting your application for that search. More information regarding the requirements for this position can be found on VT Jobs here: Assistant Professor of Practice
Commensurate with experience
February 1, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Position requires occasional travel to attend conferences and meetings.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Roslyn Garrison at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: January 8, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg