Veterans Affairs Enrollment Counselor
The Veteran Affairs Enrollment Counselor recruits’ veterans of all military branches, active military and military family members and civilian from Clarksville and surrounding communities to attend Fisk University Clarksville campus.
- Recruit veterans, active military and their family members and civilians to attend Fisk University.
- Represent Fisk University Clarksville campus at different college fairs, events and communicate with other colleges for exchanging information and details about different students, thus increasing the number of prospective students that the institution can have.
- Travel locally in the Clarksville area and surrounding towns such as Hopkinsville, Cunningham, Palmyra, Woodlawn, Cumberland Furnace, Cumberland City, Fort Campbell, Vanleer, Charlotte, Oak Grove, India Mound, Adams, Pleasant View, Trenton, Cedar Hill, Herndon, Guthrie, Erin , Pembroke Russellville, Bowling Green and Franklin KY, to recruit students.
- Assist with planning, organizing activities related to student veterans as directed by the Veteran Affairs Coordinator.
- Assist with assessing, monitoring and tracking the current student population at Clarksville and recommend new initiatives that meets the needs of the students.
- Maintain up-to-date information on effective services at other institution and in the surrounding communities.
- Serves as a professional resource to Fisk University Clarksville campus regarding helpful strategies for working with military students.
- Collaborate with other program areas on activities to enhance the holistic wellbeing of student veterans and active military and their families.
- Advise students regarding academic concerns, assists them to obtain support and /or resources by referrals to meet specific academic needs
- Assist the Veteran Affairs Coordinator in assigned activities, promotional efforts and programs during the academic year.
- Provide administration assistance duties as needed at Fisk University Clarksville campus and develop, prepare and present written reports
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice Provost for Online and Distance Education Initiatives.
- Find out information about students who fit the eligibility criteria of the institution and attract such candidates by informing them about the unique features and how it would benefit their academic and professional careers.
- Advising students about Criminal Justice and Homeland Security programs that are offered at Fisk University Clarksville campus and the career opportunities associated with these two great majors.
- Organizing orientation and training programs for newly recruited students and guiding them through the various sub processes involved in the institution.
In addition to the performance of essential responsibilities, this position may be required to perform varied high-level functions with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the Associate Vice Provost of Online/Distance Education initiatives, based upon the particular requirements of the University.
The employee will regularly exercise a high degree of judgement in their work. The performance of office or non-manual work, which relates to the employer’s management policies or general business operations, will be a primary duty of this position. The employee in this position will assist the Veteran Affairs Coordinator to perform specialized or technical work and/or undertake special assignments, the work in this position is intellectual and varied, and most work may be accomplished per a timetable.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Activities and decisions are highly complex, so significant independent action and judgement, subject to University-wide policies, are expected. Other qualifications required include.
- Some experience working or dealing in some capacity with the military population.
- Ability to travel to events, schools etc. as needed to recruit students.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Ability to maintain confidential information with tact and discretion
- Understanding of the importance of setting a proper tone for Fisk University Clarksville campus office.
- Minimum of no less than one-year experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Chrome.
The Veteran Affairs Enrollment Counselor will be stationed at Fisk University Clarksville campus. The work involves a lot of traveling to other universities and educational fairs in order to promote Fisk University Clarksville campus and attract good students.
The Veteran Affairs Enrollment Counselor working conditions are as follows:
- The normal work hours required for this part-time position is 3/4 hours per week.
- The candidate should live in proximity of Clarksville and or surrounding towns/cities.
- During the off season of recruitment, work at Fisk University Clarksville campus or remotely as required by the Veteran Affairs Coordinator