Social Media Specialist
Social Media Specialist
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $500 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
The Digital and Social Media Specialist is a key partner in Whitman's brand building and student recruitment efforts. They act as a community manager, digital content creator and content curator for Whitman College's social media channels, with an emphasis on building, engaging with and creating compelling content for Whitman's prospective students.
The successful Specialist will, in collaboration with the communications and admission teams, build a social media strategy that balances the long-term goals of the college with the short term needs of the admission cycle. They will grow Whitman's social media channels, foster online communities, actively engage with users, and implement processes and procedures to regularly measure and improve digital engagement.
- Develop and execute the college's social media strategy under the direction of the Director of Content.
- Conceptualize content ideas for social and digital media; write copy and create audio, photographic, video and other multimedia content.
- Manage day-to-day posting on the college's social media channels, engaging with the college's external and internal constituents, with an emphasis on prospective students.
- Maintain a content calendar across social media channels and post relevant, creative and timely content to maximize interaction and engagement.
- Use analytics and data to inform decision-making about social media and digital communications.
- Provide quick, helpful responses to concerns and questions submitted via social media.
- Act as a social media convener and consultant within the college, working with constituents across campus to build a vibrant, cohesive campus social media presence, and provide advice on trends in social media, emerging social platforms and tools for managing social media.
- Manage social media and digital media student interns, student bloggers and vloggers.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, including:
- Experience using social media as a tool to achieve a specific goal or outcome, creating multimedia content for social and digital media, and targeting audiences with paid promotion on social media.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.
- Skills to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long- and short-term strategic communications plans.
- High level of creativity, with the ability to strategize content, concepts and campaigns. Ability to create content for various audiences, particularly prospective Whitman students and families, in alignment with Whitman's goals and strategies.
- Desire to be an engaged member of the campus community, immersing themself in the Whitman College experience, as well as an energetic self-starter, who is comfortable interacting with students, faculty and staff in fluid and dynamic settings.
- Experience assessing digital media performance; ability to draw insight from data and communicate and implement recommendations to communications managers.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate and build relationships with diverse individuals, teams and stakeholders.
- Ability to appropriately manage and respond to sensitive information on social media.
- Willingness to work flexible hours to support campus events or emergencies.
- Ability to positively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two or more years of experience using social media in a professional context
Bachelor's degree in either a liberal arts discipline or in marketing, communication, social media or a related field
Application review will begin on February 12 and will continue until the position is filled.
ANTICIPATED START DATE
March 20, 2021
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=36