Math Instructor, Tenure Track
Math Instructor, Tenure Track
Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada is seeking applicants for one full-time, tenure-track Math Instructor. The TMCC Mathematics Department is a dynamic and growing department serving over 3000 students with courses ranging from college mathematics through differential equations, including statistics and teacher preparation courses. The department uses a variety of course formats, including in-class, online, hybrid, and courses that include a co-requisite support course. Class size is small, up to 33 students. Pedagogies are diverse and interactive. Calculators, computers, and other technology are available. Courses are offered at several education centers in the Reno-Sparks area. Workload assignments are scheduled throughout the calendar year, and faculty will be expected to teach a flexible schedule that could include day, evening, and weekend classes.
1. M.S. or M.A. from a regionally accredited institution in Mathematics, or an M.S. or M.A. in Computer Science, Statistics, or Physics with 18 graduate credit hours in Mathematics.
2. One year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
1. A Ph.D. in Mathematics or closely-related field with 30 or more graduate math credits.
2. Ability to teach all mathematics courses through Differential Equations.
3. Experience with using graphing calculators, computers, mathematics and educational software and smart classroom technologies.
4. Community college teaching experience.
5. Understanding of the mission and role of the community college in the context of a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
6. Experience in working with CoRequisite pathways.
7. Experience/working knowledge of elementary and/or secondary school math education.
8. Experience teaching online.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds, and a sensitivity of the needs of first-generation college students.
1. Contribute to the department's culture of teaching and learning excellence.
2. Teach 30 credit hours during the academic year August - May (15 during the fall semester and 15 during the spring semester). Be willing to teach evening and/or weekend classes, in class and online, as well as, day classes at one or more of the college or dual-credit locations, as needed.
3. Instruct students using approved student learning outcomes, and assess student performance using the outcomes of the course.
4. Create course syllabi, lesson plans, instructional materials, exams, homework assignments and other relevant course documents, as needed, in accordance with department standards.
5. Keep all official documentation for courses up to date.
6. Maintain regular office hours.
7. Attend and actively participate in non-classroom activities such as College events, professional development, department and division meetings, and community service activities.
8. Participate in student recruitment, advising, and retention efforts.
9. Respond to requests for information and provide reporting to the college as needed in a timely manner.
10. Work in a professional and collegial manner with faculty, staff, and students in the best interest of the college and the people it serves.
11. Perform other activities as defined in the faculty annual plan.
12. Perform all assigned duties in a manner that is consistent with standards, mission, and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College.
13. Comply with department responsibilities and published college policies and procedures and NSHE published college policies and procedures.
14. Other duties as assigned.
All of the following documents must be attached to this application in order to be given consideration.
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
As a part of the application process all applicants may be asked via email to provide additional supplemental materials or information as a part of the committee screening process.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. Search committees will use this information to determine that applicants meet minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement.
This posting will close at 12:00 am on the date listed above. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 pm the day prior.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received prior to the closing date listed on the job announcement.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check upon hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TMCC-External/job/TMCC---Truckee-Meadows-Community-College---Dandini-Campus/Math-Instructor--Tenure-Track_R0123406-1
Truckee Meadows Community College is a comprehensive educational institution located in Reno, Nevada and is part of the Nevada System of Higher Education. TMCC’s five instructional sites and numerous community locations serves an increasingly diverse population of more than 11,000 students each semester. TMCC, an HSI (Hispanic Serving Institution), is a progressive institution that celebrates inclusion and diversity while supporting core themes of academic excellence, student success, and access to lifelong learning.
A vital leader in the New Nevada’s growing economy, TMCC is located near the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains in an environment rich with a thriving arts, culture, food scene, abundant outdoor activities, and a family-friendly local community. It is only a 3.5 hour drive to San Francisco, CA, a 40-minute drive to Lake Tahoe, and within easy driving distance of four national parks (Great Basin, Yosemite, Lassen, and Death Valley). For more information, please go to www.tmcc.edu or view our virtual tour at tour.tmcc.edu.
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.