Assistant or Associate Teaching Professor of Data Science & Analytics
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown University offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Georgetown University Graduate Data Science and Analytics
Program invites applicants for two full-time, non-tenure line
positions for an assistant or associate teaching
The successful candidate will teach three graduate-level courses per semester (Fall and Spring) and will participate in administrative tasks, such as admissions and advising.
This is a non-tenured teaching position, where the core focus will be on course development (traditional and online), teaching, student support, and some administrative tasks such as student support, admissions, and committee participation. The teaching component (85-90%) includes 6 class sections (30 – 40 students each) per year with summers as a potential option. The administrative component varies with need and ranges from 10 – 15%.
All new hires will be signed for a one-year initial contract to
assure a good match. The renewal will be for a three-year term
pending a committee review. This academic appointment
is August 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022 and the renewal will be from
June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2025. Contracts are renewable after each
contract term and depend on yearly reviews, performance, and
committee review and approval.
The Data Science and Analytics Program offers a Master of Science degree in Data Science and Analytics and a BS(BA) – MS 5-year accelerated program in Data Science and Analytics. Ideal candidates will possess excellent teaching skills, experience, and interest, as this is a teaching position. Candidates should be comfortable with course development, teaching online (including the use of Canvas and Zoom), classroom teaching, and student support. Georgetown University values student success, achievement, equality, diversity, and support. An ideal candidate will encourage and actively support all of these elements. Candidates must be self-directed and independent, but also committed to being an active and valuable member of our Data Science team.
With its location in Washington, D.C., Georgetown University provides opportunities to connect with government agencies as well as high-tech industries. The Data Science and Analytics Program maintains considerable and continuous relationships with local and non-local companies, offers regular seminars and career fairs, and promotes a strong sense of community among faculty and students.
Georgetown attracts some of the very best students in the
country and the world. The Georgetown University Graduate Data
Science and Analytics Program provides students with rigorous
training in computational, mathematical, and statistical methods to
prepare them for careers in data science and analytics.
- Candidates must possess a PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or a related field.
- Candidates must have most of the following skills at an expert level with specific skills determining the nature and focus of the hire:
- Programming in R and Python.
- Big Data and Cloud Computing, including AWS, Azure, etc. as well as Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce, etc. (This requirement is for one of the two new hires).
- Knowledge and experience with data science and analytics, including the data science life cycle, data gathering (including APIs), data cleaning and preparation, data exploration, machine learning (including NB, SVM, DT, RF, Clustering, ARM, NN, etc.), and data visualization (including Tableau, R/Shiny, R/leaflet, R/NetworkD3, R/ggplot2, Python/(several), Plotly, etc.
- Expertise in communicating information from data, narratives, storytelling, visual narratives, decision science, etc.
- While not required, a focus in certain application areas such as business and finance as well as biological sciences will be valuable.
- Candidates must possess both teaching experience and a clear interest in working with, supporting, and advising students.
- Preference may be given to applicants who possess a strong Big Data (and related) expertise, including Big Data management, AWS, Cloud, Azure, other related, as well as Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce, etc.
- Preference may be given to those with advanced interactive data visualization expertise.
Please note that this is not a research position. While research is highly regarded and encouraged, it is completed on the faculty member’s own time and is not contained within the requirements of this position. This position is also not connected to the option of transitioning into a tenure-line or research position. There is no avenue to translate from a non-tenure teaching position into a tenured position. If you are interested in a tenure-line and research-focused position, please do not apply to this advertisement.
The pay scale range for this position is $90,000 – 95,000.
In consideration of your interest in a non-tenure line faculty appointment with Georgetown University, you are requested to submit your updated CV, cover letter and list of at least three professional references. Please send one letter of reference with your application. We will request the other two letters if/as needed. You are also asked to voluntarily complete Section II of the Confidential Applicant Flow Form. You may receive a further request for additional information.
Please submit all application materials by no later than March 1, 2021 to Dr. A. Gates, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Georgetown University
Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit, student-centered research university. Established in 1789 in the spirit of the new republic, the University was founded on the principle that serious and sustained discourse among people of different faiths, cultures, and beliefs promotes intellectual, ethical, and spiritual understanding. We embody this principle in the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff, our commitment to justice and the common good, our intellectual openness, and our international character. An academic community dedicated to creating and communicating knowledge, Georgetown provides excellent undergraduate, graduate, and professional education. Georgetown educates women and men to be reflective lifelong learners, to be responsible and active participants in civic life, and to live generously in service to others.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Sciences & Technology Non-Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Mathematics Non-Tenured Track $90,000 - $119,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.