The Cleveland Institute of Art is looking for 1 full-time Admissions Counselor. Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Admissions, Admissions Counselors are responsible for implementing recruitment strategies as they relate to undergraduate students. They represent and present CIA's academic programs to prospective students, parents, teachers, and counselors regionally, nationally, and internationally. They must have the ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and socioeconomic and educational levels and skills by using a variety of interpersonal strategies to interact appropriately in situations ranging from large meetings to individual appointments. This position is year-round and requires travel in the fall and spring as well as some evenings and weekends. Admissions Counselors must demonstrate a strong knowledge of the visual arts, and have a commitment to arts-based education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the admissions efforts in targeted regions in Ohio and the U.S., with a possible occasional overlap into other areas.
- High School Visits - visit schools and discuss CIA with prospective students, art educators, and counselors.
- Portfolio Days, and College Fairs - represent CIA at programs hosted by colleges, high schools; and public and community organizations.
- Interviewing and Counseling - discuss admission requirements with prospective students, parents, and visitors seeking information.
- Application Review - review admission credentials (application for admission, high school transcript, SAT/ACT test results, and portfolio) to determine eligibility for admission.
- Evaluate Recruitment Activities - assist in periodic written reports and annual report describing and evaluating Office of Admissions recruitment activities.
- Conduct Portfolio Reviews – discuss and critique the art portfolios of prospective students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed above. Additional qualifications include:
- A valid driver's license and exemplary driving record
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to set priorities that accurately reflect relative importance of duties
- Time management skills
- Ability to work independently within a team
- Pro-active, creative problem solving approach
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
Position will require travel and varied working hours including some evenings and weekends
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree required, BFA in art or design-related field preferred.
- Direct experience in art and design
- Admissions Counselors: 1-2 years of experience in higher education or related field is desired but not required.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter, and salary requirements by February 5, 2021, to: email@example.com please reference job code: AC21 in the email subject line
The Cleveland Institute of Art is an equal opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within our community. We are dedicated to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
The Cleveland Institute of Art is one of the nation's leading accredited independent colleges of art and design. Since 1882, the college has been an educational cornerstone in Cleveland, Ohio, producing graduates competitive as studio artists, designers, photographers, contemporary craftsmen, and educators.
With approximately 600 students, CIA offers a personal educational experience with the benefits of a larger institution. Students choose from 15 majors and live and work in Cleveland’s University Circle, one of the country’s most unique cultural centers – recently named by Forbes Magazine as one of the ten prettiest communities in the country.