Community Relations Strategist
Community Relations Strategist
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, Legislative and Community Affairs, the Community Relations Strategist manages community relations efforts to effectively support and promote City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), its mission and its programs and services.
The Community Relations Strategist works to increase and deepen the community’s awareness of CCC’s academic and vocational programs, strengthens the partnerships currently in place, and cultivates new opportunities and relationships with community, civic and business groups. Performs related duties as required.
- Coordinates and support community engagement activities and participates in the development and implementation of strategic community outreach plans.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community and faith based organizations, business and civic groups, government officials, and other key stakeholders to sustain positive community engagement.
- Identifies and develops innovative ways to tell the story of CCC to external partners, including the role and mission of CCC and its relation to the people and communities it serves.
- Works collaboratively with the Marketing Department in planning and implementing communications initiatives to effectively represent and promote CCC to a variety of audiences and help increase student enrollment.
- Advances CCC’s brand identity by organizing and implementing community promotional and outreach activities designed to broaden awareness and increase the visibility of CCC and its programs across key targeted audiences.
- Identifies opportunities to expand community engagement and represents CCC at community events to maintain a presence in the community and to promote CCC’s mission and academic programs.
- Works with Associate Vice Chancellor to create strategies that allow senior leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including elected officials and government partners.
- Creates and maintains a database of contacts for the department
- Promotes the integration of regulatory, political, and market expectations that support each college’s strategic plan.
Education, Training and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Two years of work experience in a higher education setting, non-profit service organization or the private sector related to community relations and developing community relationships.
- Must be able to work occasional nights and weekends as required
- Demonstrated experience and skill in public speaking
- Valid State of Illinois driver’s license
- May be required to use personal vehicle in the course of work, for which a monthly mileage stipend is provided.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The following generally describes the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time to successfully perform the assigned duties
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of community relations practices and procedures
- Knowledge of social media tools and social media environments
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Public speaking techniques
- Excellent written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including using tact, patience and courtesy
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in handling sensitive situations
- Ability to work confidentially and with discretion
- General office environment
- Travel to various events and offsite locations which may include outdoor environment Equipment
- Standard office equipment including computers and peripheral equipment
- Sedentary with required standing for extended periods and intermittent walking, bending and stooping. Some lifting or carrying objects of light weight may be required.
- Leadership – Demonstrates willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Initiative – Demonstrates willingness to take on responsibilities and job challenges
- Attention to Detail – Pays careful attention to detail and thoroughness in completing work tasks.
- Dependability – Demonstrates reliability, responsibility, and dependability and fulfill obligations.
- Technology Savvy – Capable user of technology who understands the role of technology in the institution and who will guide and support its efficient and effective use.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago