Assistant Professor of Jazz Piano
The Florida International University School of Music invites applicants for a fulltime, nine-month, tenure-earning Jazz Piano Assistant Professor.
- Master of Music (MM) degree is required.
- Applicant should be an outstanding and active professional jazz pianist with a strong record of teaching and performance
- Capacity to participate in shared governance through service to the School, College and University
- Evidence of success in promoting an environment that advances diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Doctorate of Music (DMA) degree
- Distinguished record of achievement in the field at a national or international level.
- Teaching experience of 3 to 5 years beyond graduate assistantship at the university level
- Ability to collaborate across disciplines in a Research I university
- Demonstrated capacity for effective community engagement and recruitment at the collegiate level
- Collegial attitude, strong organizational, management and communication skills
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate applied jazz piano and class jazz piano. Additional teaching responsibilities may include jazz composition, jazz arranging, jazz improvisation, jazz theory, jazz ear training, jazz history and ensembles. The successful candidate is expected to be an active and effective recruiter for the jazz performance program. The successful candidate will also maintain a regional and national profile within the profession and engage in scholarly, creative activity, and research. The salary will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 522716 at facultycareers.fiu.edu and attach the following documents:
- A Cover Letter
- Diversity Statement
- Statement of Research & Creative Activities
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Service
- Statement of Recruiting Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
Candidates may also be asked to submit recordings of
performances and/or teaching at a later date. Candidates will be
requested to provide names and contact information for at least
three references, which will be contacted as determined by the
search committee. Review will continue until position is
Please direct questions to Jazz Piano Search Committee Chair, Jim Hacker, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education.