Assistant Professor of Marriage & Family Therapy
The Psychology Department at Dixie State University seeks applications for a full-time Assistant Professor faculty appointment in Marriage and Family Therapy, to begin Fall Semester 2021. The successful candidate will be required to have a doctoral degree in Marriage and Family Therapy, either a PhD or DMFT, and must obtain licensure as a LMFT in Utah and be an AAMFT-approved Supervisor prior to beginning the appointment. The ideal candidate will have experience and training working in a clinical setting with children, preferably with experience utilizing Play Therapy and similar therapeutic techniques. The successful candidate will teach primarily in the Marriage and Family Therapy Master’s program, but will have the opportunity to teach undergraduate courses in the Psychology Department.
Additional information about the Psychology Department can be found online at https://psychology.dixie.edu/ , and information about the Marriage and Family Therapy program can be found online at https://psychology.dixie.edu/mft/ .
- All full-time faculty at DSU are hired with the annual
expectation to provide the equivalent of 30 workload credits during
the Fall and Spring semesters. Professional expectations for tenure
track faculty are distributed across teaching, service, and
- Teach 24 credits per academic year, with teaching required
during the Fall and Spring semesters. (Summer teaching is available
as a supplemental assignment separate from the annual contract.)
- Teaching responsibilities will include a variety of Master’s-level MFT courses, including Play Therapy, supervising Practicum students, MFT Theories I and II, MFT Research, and Assessment and Diagnosis in MFT.
- Additional teaching opportunities include undergraduate Psychology courses such as Abnormal Psychology and courses that might contribute toward a certificate as an Assistant in ABA therapy.
- Faculty must have an ability and willingness to adapt courses to current technology, including a Course Learning Management (CLM) system and remote teaching options (e.g., Zoom).
- Provide collegial service to the MFT program, department, university and/or profession. The selected candidate will contribute to the growth/oversight of the MFT program specifically, and the Psychology Department more broadly, serve on university, division, and departmental committees as assigned, and advise/mentor graduate students in the MFT program on degree-specific requirements and career opportunities in MFT.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year, with teaching required during the Fall and Spring semesters. (Summer teaching is available as a supplemental assignment separate from the annual contract.)
- Tenure-track faculty at DSU are teaching scholars. As such, the successful candidate must be engaged in a scholarly agenda, preferably scholarship that connects to student and program needs. The ideal candidate will foster a research-based clinical focus within the MFT graduate program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree in Marriage and Family Therapy, DMFT or Ph.D., from a COAMFTE-accredited MFT program within an accredited university is required.
- Approved as an AAMFT supervisor is required.
- Specialization with any area of Marriage and Family Therapy is open, but strong consideration will be given to candidates with specific training and experience in a clinical setting with children, particularly utilizing Play Therapy; the ability to complement and extend the current strengths of the graduate MFT Program is essential.
- A commitment to and evidence of excellence in teaching is essential.
- Eagerness and ability to engage with colleagues, staff, and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of all students getting degrees within the Psychology Department.
- Ability to communicate clearly with students, staff, colleagues, and administrators, both orally and in writing.
- Interest in utilizing technology as an educational tool.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) tenure-track faculty position. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $56,000 - $59,000, depending on qualifications & experience, with additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included –see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins March 1 , 2021 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, at least three letters of recommendation, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Physical Therapy Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Human Development & Family Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George