Financial Services Counselor
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Create an environment that promotes customer service and supports student enrollment from the beginning to the end of the process. Counsel students and their families regarding the financial aid process. Determine aid eligibility, built from parameters set by the University and the Department of Education. Award financial aid packages to students based on the assignment set by the Director of Financial Services and maintain weekly contact with students until the process is complete. Act as the main contact person for the students and families related to student billing and financial aid; ensure that communication is constant. Responsible for the accurate collection and disbursement of cash and check transactions; responsible for the cash and check reconciliation at close of business.
- Counsel students and their families regarding financial aid, college financing options and payment plans.
- Assist with loan entrance, master promissory notes and exit interviews.
- Process verifications and review of financial aid files.
- Prepare financial aid packages and maintain point of contact status with students and families.
- Assist with Veteran’s Education Program benefits counseling.
- Conduct workshops and presentations on financial aid programs to staff, students, parents and high school counselors.
- Maintain knowledge of current federal, state and institutional regulations regarding financial aid.
- Process cash and check transactions to student, faculty and staff accounts.
- Reconcile cash drawer by balancing the cash and check transactions against the daily group receipt report and posting the daily group receipt report.
- Process daily check deposits by using the on-line banking software.
- Initiate collection phone calls, emails and letters.
- Process petty cash requests and follow up on the collection of receipts with the proper departments.
- Receive and process gift transmittal documents from Advancement.
- Responsible for verifying and posting Bookstore Charges to student accounts.
- Reconcile scholarship GL accounts and monthly pledge/gift reports from Advancement.
- Responsible for entering Bookstore daily cash reports and posting them to the general ledger.
- Assist in the preparation of financial brochures and handouts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serves to facilitate good communication between employees, clients, and management through interpersonal and professional communication techniques.
- Maintain University safety rules.
- Maintain knowledge of computer programs as relates to job.
- Assist with office planning and problem solving.
Maintain the highest level of confidence concerning all matters in the Financial Services office. Does not discuss in any manner any information obtained through work in the office.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or three years of progressive customer service and administration experience will be accepted in lieu of the required coursework.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to work both individually and in a team environment.
- Some evening and weekend work and out of town work may be required.
- Possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of Schreiner University.
- Must be able to access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- A minimum of two years of experience in financial aid preferred
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
- Strong customer service, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity and experience with general office equipment.