Full Time Faculty Member in Music
College of the Atlantic (COA) is seeking a scholar, practitioner and instructor of music in relation to global, contemporary and historic composing, performing, and listening practices. The anticipated start date will be in August of 2021. The successful candidate will be the sole full-time faculty member in music and will have great freedom in shaping the COA music program. This hire will be responsible for developing a wide range of coursework, directing and advising student projects and producing a variety of public performance events. Candidates should have an active creative/studio practice as well as a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching including studio courses in instrumental performance, music theory, music history, and composition. Experience directing student ensembles that accommodate a variety of skill levels is desirable. The candidate should also have experience working with current software, sound recording and production tools and knowledge of emerging technologies. The job requires a strong interest in exploring connections and developing collaborations between music and other areas of the COA curriculum. We encourage applicants who bring highly innovative, uniquely interdisciplinary perspectives and cross cultural approaches to their work. We are especially interested in applicants whose practice, research and teaching explores the intersection of music and questions of race, class and gender. Anticipated start date: August 2021.
Primary responsibilities include teaching 5 courses per academic year, devising and nurturing a unique, robust, consistent music curriculum that provides solo and ensemble public performance opportunities. Courses will cover a variety of instruments, methods, music history, theory and composition. We welcome course work in other areas as well, including (but not limited to) ethnomusicology, vocal production and performance, music technology and music education. This faculty will advise on a limited number of senior projects and independent studies, responding effectively to evolving student interest and need. They will also supervise the COA recording lab and practice spaces, oversee the care and maintenance of all studio instruments/equipment and contribute effectively to required college service assignments and governance.
The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in a directly related field or equivalent professional experience and significant interest in unconventional, transdisciplinary education. They will have a broad and deep understanding of creative and experimental practice and methods as well as knowledge of current trends and transformations in the field. They will have a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching and be committed to developing an effective, innovative and inclusive curriculum for a student body with wildly diverse interests and experience levels. They will also be capable of fostering a collaborative classroom environment that welcomes all learners, attracts and engages students and offers multiple approaches to music study.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials as a
single attached PDF document to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name in the subject line of the email and in the file title.
- A letter of application
- An updated Curriculum Vitae including full names and complete contact information for three references.
- A clear and easily accessible sampling of creative work (via link(s) to professional website, youtube, vimeo etc.)
- A concise diversity, equity and inclusion statement, directly tied to personal pedagogical approach and teaching
- 5-7 short course proposals (brief descriptions not syllabi). These can be courses you’ve taught before and/or courses you’d like to teach. Please include at least one foundational course, one advanced course incorporating personal research/practice interests, and one interdisciplinary team-taught
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please direct any questions to the committee chair: Jodi Baker email@example.com
Apply for Full Time Faculty Member in Music
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Music Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor
- Performing Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Bar Harbor